2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

02 Intrepid 2.7 Overheating Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Pip and the Zombies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default known problem

If you Google "Dodge Intrepid 2.7 overheating," you'll find it's a common problem. In fact, the Canadians have been trying to sue Chrysler for ages.

My 2.7 finally burned out around 100,000 miles and I put in a re-built one. Evidently in the original, the channels the oil runs through are too narrow and get clogged quickly. The rebuilt one had the channels bored out a bit.

It's recommended that you use synthetic oil and change it often.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:38 PM
brad_athens
Default Overheating mystery in 2.7 continues...

All previous posts were very helpful! Thanks for taking time over the years to document the 2.7.

Same problem...the faulty original bleeder valve (metal valve hub on plastic...wth) exploded about a month ago. Lucky for me being a DIY with a friend who has a fully stocked auto shop of many tools and an empty bay. I replaced the water pump, thermostat, radiator return housing, timing chain (tensioner-guides-sprockets&ofcourse the chain), new timing chain cover and oil pan gaskets (contact cleaned the helloutta everything). Started it fine once all back together, then overheats rapidly once it hits operating temps. Have flushed the system, ending up with great flow and water coming out clear as glass. Replaced the thermostat again, and NO CHANGE, still overheating exactly the same.

Any help or suggestions from anyone still sporting the Intrepid would be most welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

**UPDATE**Had a pro lend me a hand with a compression test...need to replace a blown head gasket. Hopefully after I replace the head gasket, the car should run as good as the day I drove it off the sales lot, considering that everything else affected by the blown head gasket has already been replaced.

Last edited by brad_athens; 09-20-2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: updated post
Old 04-08-2013, 01:35 AM
DavidBoger

Originally Posted by DansIntrepid
I've decided to start tearing it apart with the intention of changing the water pump. I took off the top hose and ran the car. There is no flow out of the neck at the top. There is also no heat. I used a pressure tester to pump water through and I then got heat. I'm assuming it is because I pumped hot water into the heater core.

I had replaced the primary timing chain tensioner which had no o-ring on it and was causing slack in the chain and an oil pressure problem. I'm thinking it damaged the impeller.

If the timing chain is off by one tooth the car will overheat! the check engine light might come on but not all the time. Check this out! i have seen it twice on cars thatcome into the Shop. also another thing to try is to unplug the cooling fan sensor (The one on the metal pipe by the upper hose) and run it with the fans on while belleding the air. Just trying to help you out.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:03 PM
CharlesMadison

Have the same problem with my Dodge 2000 Intrepid
I'm losing anti freeze but its not leaking anywhere to be found.
Changed my thermostat was working fine...then 2 weeks later have the same problem....
Any advice

Old 10-09-2014, 08:39 PM
c2howard

Originally Posted by datsunbob
I have same problem overheating 2.7 L 2002 dodge intrepid, lots of air in motor I have opened air outlet valve three times but car still overheating, no white smoke coming out, fans work properly, I changed radiator cap reservoir was overflowing from small hole behind the tank, any sugestions??

Bob
Try Bleeding the cooling system. raise the car, use a hand pump with coolant reservoir. Start the engine let it get to operating temp and place a hose on the bleed valve to catch the coolant, turn the car heater on, ad a little pressure to the coolant tank also keep it filled do this tell all the air bubbles are gone. Drive the car around for a while stop and go and then check it again if there are bubbles bleed again. some times it takes a while it did whith my car.

Last edited by c2howard; 10-09-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 02 Intrepid 2.7 Overheating Mystery