Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

speed control problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 04:43 PM
edfromut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed control problem

I have a 2000 Intrepid. I start the car and turn on the cruise control. The light comes on for 10 seconds then turns off. I have to turn the car off and on to get the light to come on again. But it still goes out after exactly 10 seconds. If I push the brake pedal before the light goes out then it stays on until I release the brake. I am never able to set the speed even when the light is on. I assume some check is going on during those 10 seconds and something is failing and that's why the light goes off. Does anyone know what part of the cruise control system is failing and how do I test for this failure.
Thanks for your help.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Wiseman
Smile

Ok, I know this is my first post here, and really hope to contribute, as much as get in return.

I'm having the same issue with my 2005 Ram. Cruise turns on, but it would not set for longer than 10-15 minutes, and got worse over time. Today, I noticed the two brake lights were stuck on, and I had to charge the two year old battery to get it started. Also, the third light mounted in the middle of the cab, responses properly with applying the brake pedal. Only the two rear are stuck.

The 3rd rear window light, in the middle of the cab is wired to the foot switch in the brake pedal, and the rear bed lights go through some pressure transducer in the break system, and feed back to the main computer. The main CPU see's the brake light on signal, and shuts off the cruise control.

If my reasoning is correct, where is the pressure transducer located in the breaking system of a 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi, and will I need to bleed the brakes after reinstalling a fresh on? How many hours at the dealer, to fix?

Old 05-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Wiseman

I'm back, to put this thread full circle, to my brake light staying on, and my cruise control does not work issue, on my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi pickup.

It turned out to be a bad brake pedal switch. It appears the foot pedal has two switches, one switch is routed to the third brake light, and the second to the rear brakes. the rear switch when I took it out, was not working.

There is No pressure switch on the brake light circuit.

If the brake lights are on, a signal is sent to the computer, to cancel cruise control. Nothing was wrong with the cruise control.

Dodge brake switch is kind of cheap. New switch appeared of a better quality.

Quick Reply: speed control problem