Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Cars > Dodge Intrepid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

2000 Dodge Intrepid R/T won't crank won't start

Old 08-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Question 2000 Dodge Intrepid R/T won't crank won't start

I heard a weird idle on my car when it was running and I discovered I had a vacuum leak. So I shut the car off and I took the hole apart and replaced it. After fixing the vacuum leak, I jumped back in the car and went to go start it. I started it up and ran for 2 seconds and then shut off. So I tried again and this time it would not start, it would only crank. So then I checked over my engine and long story short my engine was flooded. I took out the spark plugs and cleaned then because they smelled of gas. I let the engine sit with the spark plugs out for 4 hours.

After letting it sit, I put the plugs back in and tried to start it with the gas pedal to the flood, and it only cranked. Then I tried again and this time I got no crank. I heard the starter make a single click noise as if it was trying to turn. So I got my battery and starter tested at AutoZone and they were both good. I checked my terminals they were tight and clean. The lights are bright, the radio comes on. Then I checked my spark plugs for spark and there was NO spark. then I checked the coil packs that connect to the spark plugs and there was NO spark at all.

But then I listened a little closer to the car when I tried to start it, and noticed a single click noise in the fuse/relay box coming before attempting to starter it. So now there is 2 single clicks. One coming from a good starter trying to start the car and the other coming from the fuse/relay box.

I checked my fuses and the inj/coil fuse 20A blown. I replaced it and tried to start it and got nothing but a single click from the starter and a click from the fuse/relay box under the hood. As I checked my relays, I decided to take them out one at a time to see which one was causing the click noise. The click noise stopped after having 5 relays out. I had the Fuel relay, TCM relay, Starter Relay, A/C compressor Relay, and the ASD Relay. If I put anyone of them back in, the single from the fuse/relay box returns.
My car still won't start of course. Before I go out and buy all 5 relays, do anyone suggest it to be a different problem? Because I can't believe that all 5 blown at once just with a few cranks of the engine.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 01-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Amateur
Garage is empty, add now

I had a problem like this and it was my crank sensor. So I changed my crank and cam sensor and my coolant temp sensor while I had my upper intake off. A bad coolant temp sensor while give a bad signal to the PCM telling it that its too hot and will shut it off. I think the relay you heard was the auto shut off relay.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:22 PM

Tags
dodge intrepid, no crank no start