2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

2000 Dodge Intrepid R/T won't crank won't start

Old 08-20-2013, 07:12 PM
petersondaniel82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 Dodge Intrepid R/T won't crank won't start

I heard a weird idle on my car when it was running and I discovered I had a vacuum leak. So I shut the car off and I took the hole apart and replaced it. After fixing the vacuum leak, I jumped back in the car and went to go start it. I started it up and ran for 2 seconds and then shut off. So I tried again and this time it would not start, it would only crank. So then I checked over my engine and long story short my engine was flooded. I took out the spark plugs and cleaned then because they smelled of gas. I let the engine sit with the spark plugs out for 4 hours.

After letting it sit, I put the plugs back in and tried to start it with the gas pedal to the flood, and it only cranked. Then I tried again and this time I got no crank. I heard the starter make a single click noise as if it was trying to turn. So I got my battery and starter tested at AutoZone and they were both good. I checked my terminals they were tight and clean. The lights are bright, the radio comes on. Then I checked my spark plugs for spark and there was NO spark. then I checked the coil packs that connect to the spark plugs and there was NO spark at all.

But then I listened a little closer to the car when I tried to start it, and noticed a single click noise in the fuse/relay box coming before attempting to starter it. So now there is 2 single clicks. One coming from a good starter trying to start the car and the other coming from the fuse/relay box.

I checked my fuses and the inj/coil fuse 20A blown. I replaced it and tried to start it and got nothing but a single click from the starter and a click from the fuse/relay box under the hood. As I checked my relays, I decided to take them out one at a time to see which one was causing the click noise. The click noise stopped after having 5 relays out. I had the Fuel relay, TCM relay, Starter Relay, A/C compressor Relay, and the ASD Relay. If I put anyone of them back in, the single from the fuse/relay box returns.
My car still won't start of course. Before I go out and buy all 5 relays, do anyone suggest it to be a different problem? Because I can't believe that all 5 blown at once just with a few cranks of the engine.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:22 PM
mike39648
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem like this and it was my crank sensor. So I changed my crank and cam sensor and my coolant temp sensor while I had my upper intake off. A bad coolant temp sensor while give a bad signal to the PCM telling it that its too hot and will shut it off. I think the relay you heard was the auto shut off relay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Intrepid R/T won't crank won't start