2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

2nd Gen Intrepid Possesed

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 09:35 PM
myjrnyinhim.10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2nd Gen Intrepid Possesed

Have been dealing with this car headache for a couple months, both mechanic and I are baffled. The car runs great when it wants to have had to have it towed in 3 times and limped in once. Here is a run down of my situation.

The problem started with bucking that went on for about 3 months without a check engine light. When the check engine light finally came on it completely stalled and wouldnt start. The code read the EGR voltage being to high or two low not sure which I think it was 0405. I replaced the EGR thinking the part was bad, after replacing and clearing the code I drove it and it started cutting out and check engine light came back on this time the egr code and the throttle body sensor threw a code. I then put on a new throttle body sensor and that did not solve anything. Finally took it to a mechanic realizing it was an electrical issue because I found that the insulation had worn away from both wires at the connector of the throttle body sensor and also the 3 wires on the connector to the a/c transducer this is beyond my back yard mechanic abilities. The mechanic knowing that high/low voltage readings on sensors in the same loop would most likely be a bad ground, he then created another ground in the loop from PCM to transmission. The car then threw a cam sensor code and crank sensor. He replaced the cam sensor twice still throwing code. All the while the bucking continued randomly sometimes with or without check engine light. We also had the map sensor stop functioning at this point we cleared the code and it returned to functioning. He then employed a tech service that helped trouble shoot the issues they suggested that we bypass the computer ground and hard ground it to the frame or block this seemed to solve the sensor codes for emissions. We then started getting the multiple misfire 0300 and cylinders 302,305,306 cleared them then came up with 0300,0405 cleared them then came up with 0300,0405,302,304,305. At this point we checked spark plugs and coils all okay. Still randomly bucking but no outward symptom of misfire(no cutting out, no backfire, no shudder). I have a consumer code reader that I would use to inform my mechanic what codes it was throwing and would clear them out and each time I would get the misfire codes at one point the computer reset itself on its own clearing out the codes this was for 72 miles of driving. Also at one point I went to clear the misfire codes and all codes cleared except 0300 multiple misfire. The car was reset to relearn mode twice once before the code wouldnt clear and once after and still misfire codes. The last incident the car would shift the speedometer did work and shift indicator did not work, had to be towed. The codes were 0300,0405,1698,301,302,303,304,305,306 and a repeat of 0300. We do have a bad connection at the blinker/hazard fuse under the hood, previous owner had alarm installed and used a jumper causing it to be lose when jumper was removed, since replaced jumper to make good connection. The last codes were read on a Saturday in mid morning a day after the incident with no hazards, mechanic came by that evening and noticed hazards on and blinking slowly in which he turned them off. Monday morning he used professional code reader and came up with same codes except the 1698 it now had replaced that one with a code stating the battery had been disconnected. He did find that the TCM power is also linked into the blinker/hazard fuse we have been having trouble with. There have been multiple times that the blinkers would not work because of the bad connection, this is the first TCM loss of connection with PCM. The mechanic fixed blinker/hazard connection and reset PCM, test drove it everything is running smooth but with check engine light, all same misfire codes, 302,305,306 and then a barometer sensor low voltage at key turn on also the 0405. On this trip that I had to be towed on I went 36ish miles and car bucked at 89ish miles the blinker/hazards stopped working at 93 miles the transmission wouldnt shift out of first.

Has anyone else experienced any of these issues? Any suggestions besides shooting it and burying it in the backyard?

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen Intrepid Possesed