2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

2000 3.2 L Need DYS Guidance Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 01:13 PM
ourorrhome
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2000 3.2 L Need DYS Guidance Please

Can someone please guide me to where I can locate a visual break down of changing the Valve Cover gasket and o ring seals on the spark plug tubes? And I am welcoming any other suggestions. ....This is why I ask.....

2 days ago I jumped in and started up our 2nd gen 2000 Dodge Intrepid fired right up just fine but I noticed there was a very strong odor of gas to the exhaust as I am taking off and then again at my point b arrival where I shut off the car. A few minutes later ready to return home. I turn the key and instead of firing right up it took several second of cranking and the car started with more strong raw gas smell and a bit of a sputter, with adding pressure to the gas peddle it came out of it ( knowing something was about to go wrong I checked for all systems to show anything wrong --- no idiot lights had come on--- and I booked my butt home!!!) after arriving, I shut her down and hit the switch.... and she cranks long to start. over and over it wasn't getting better but no worse. There is no oil leaks in this car... ( I thought) ok No Smoking oil, No ruff idle, purs like a kitten actually, It averages 33.4 MPG. Its a good running car. .... I do not honestly know when its last tuneup (if ever was) we took it over from my Father-in-Law when he passed 3 yrs ago. I had the oil changed 3x that year drove it maybe 10,000 miles and then the car set nearly 1 1/2 years till I could put all new brakes rotors, calipers, parking, and new gas tank straps on this summer. )

ok so back to my investigation into the new problem. I did the key dance. No Codes... I start reading more forums on here and decide to go pull a spark plug.... yep they Defiantly need replaced!!! OH BUT HERE WE GO .... the last 4 plugs I pull the top of the plug (Threads and above the neck) are coated in oil.

It did start normal when I put the new plugs in. But I knew I had to dig deeper to find why the top of the plugs are coated in oil.

Please understand I am a 44 yr old Old-school Girl. I grew up on a farm where we fix it our self and NOTHING had a computer on it! Now I can't say all the Mechanic technical terms but I know my Main Auto Parts, I have all the tools even some specialty ones, and I know how to get wrenching and do a good bit most of the replaceable parts. But on these new lil compact computer driven OMG what are they thinking!!!!! Give me back my 64 Chevy 3 on the tree Sweet Baby!!!

So here is my next move. I have ordered a complete Valve Cover Gasket Replacement kit so that I can change the o-ring seals in the plug tubes. And as I have been reading I figure while I am tinkering at this I will go ahead and replace the PCV Valve (once I find the burger) It seemed to read as rather an in-expensive quick repair that could be leading up to my beginning issues.

Now I have to admit I am intimidated by looking at this baby and thinking to start pulling things off to get into this project because her "diaper" (so to speak) seams a whole lot more technical than it use to be. Although, I am reading that this seems to be a rather simple ( ok, replacing the battery is a good example of I thought "this was ridiculous", really? push the fender well in to pull out the battery uhg...)

So I would GREATLY Appreciate any kind helpers out there that can reassure this Gal that I can still be my own Mechanic.

Have A Great Day

Quick Reply: 2000 3.2 L Need DYS Guidance Please