2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

2001 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.2L - Alternator pivot bolt too long - What next?

Old 08-09-2015, 12:35 AM
deputycleric
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.2L - Alternator pivot bolt too long - What next?

I just picked up a 2001 Dodge Intrepid ES, which runs and rides like a honey.

Unfortunately the battery it came with was very weak and I have been in process of changing both battery and alternator.

The battery change went without a hitch (I have to give the LH engineers credit for creative use of space under the hood) but the alternator is presenting me with a seemingly insoluble conundrum.

At this point I have all brackets, bolts etc. removed, and the serpentine belt off, but there is one exception - the top pivot bolt seems about 1 inch too long to pull out the front of the alternator.

The head of the bolt hits the back of the frame above the radiator, and is at least 1" above the greater space below it. Jacking one corner of the car does not seem to flex the body at all.

Thoughts? The manual I have just says "remove the alternator bolts".

Thanks in advance, as always, for any info.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:50 PM
deputycleric
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the answer. The the upper radiator support needs to be either removed or loosened so it can be moved up and away. This is not particularly difficult or time-consuming, and makes room for the bolt to come out, as well as makes it easier to do things like adjust the belt tensioner. The headlight skewer bolts need to come out as well.

I just took out the top set of bolts in the diagram below and was able to move the assembly up and forward enough to do the work.

Recommend putting penetrating oil onto all screws and bolts associated with the upper radiator support, and cleaning rusted threads well, on the screws/bolts and in the holes.

Last edited by deputycleric; 08-09-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.2L - Alternator pivot bolt too long - What next?