2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

04 with 3.5l strange codes p0016, p0355

Old 10-14-2015, 01:41 PM
coolmeiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 with 3.5l strange codes p0016, p0355

Fathers former police car died on him recently. His local mechanic pulled codes and replaced crank and cam sensors with Napa parts. Car would then runlike a champat low rpm but misfired horribly at~ 2500 rpm. Mechanic then replaced timjng belt and tensioner. No change in driveability, mechanic rechecked timing, still correct. Recommended replacement of the pcm at this point but dad couldn't seesinking yet another $700 into the car. Here is where I got involved....
Pulled the engine harness and verified no opens or grounds on cam and crank sensor wiring. Backprobed cam and crank connectors with an oscilloscope. Crank had a nice steady square pulse, cam had pulses but seemed as if it was hunting for a good trigger. I'm not sure what that should look like but it was definitely "something" in my mind. Replaced both sensors with new Dodge parts. Now the car doesn't want to start and idle. Not throwing the p0016 code anymore. Now I consistantly get a p0355 which is cyl 5 misfire. (???) Almost seems like it is out of timing. Swapped back to Napa crank sensor- no change. Still coughing and misfiring, won't run unless you give it some throttle. Swap in the Napa cam sensor and it's back to purring like a kitten till 2500 rpm. I tossed in my hat at that point and ordered a refurbished computer. No change in symptoms.
I looked at the cam reluctor at one point and it seemed tight.... Im plumb out of ideas, any assistance would he greatly appreciated!

Old 10-22-2015, 09:00 PM
coolmeiser

I could really use a hand with this one fellas. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I have checked the grounds on both sides of the engine as well since my last post. Looks like I will be tearing into the timing again next weekend. gonna give the cam sprocket a good looking at this time.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:28 AM
jack_null
Amateur

Have you tried a compression test on cylinder 5? Gasket or seal could be gone (hopefully not on the lower engine). If of course there is low compression, I'd try a leak down test with compressed air and see where the air is escaping. If it's big enough of a leak, that could explain everything.

Otherwise it seems as though you've all confirmed the cars timing is perfect. Timing Belts brand new. The fact it won't start now could be unrelated. Electrical maybe? Have you tested spark, fuel, and compression?

I ask because a lot of the times, I find it's necessary to take a step back and view it at a fundamental level. Yes, what you've explained and done could explain what's happening. But what else could?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 with 3.5l strange codes p0016, p0355