Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Lock Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 AM
nikilove5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lock Problem

I have a 2009 Journey. I havent had it even a week and now I've noticed the locks arent always working. The car will only unlock sometimes when I click unlock and not always. This happens whether I click unlock from the door while inside or using the remote from the outside. Is this an electrical issue with the car? I only have a warranty for another couple hundred miles! Has anyone else had this problem??

Old 06-13-2010, 08:21 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

This may help you, Its a TSB for door lock problems.
SUBJECT:
Doors Do Not Lock Or Unlock Properly When Using Power Door Lock System Or Remote
Keyless Entry
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves modifying the door trim panel to assure the lock **** will not
interfere with it.
MODELS:
2009 (JC) Journey
NOTE: This Bulletin applies to vehicles built before August 6, 2008 (MDH 0806XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may experience difficulty locking or unlocking the doors when using the
power door lock system or remote keyless entry transmitter. Mechanical interference
between the lock **** & door trim panel may be preventing the keyless entry system form
operating properly.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer experiences the Symptom/Condition perform the Repair Procedure.
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
NPN File, Square Body
NUMBER: 23-004-09
GROUP: Body
DATE: March 4, 2009
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Open Door.
2. Ensure doors are unlocked.
3. Using your hand wiggle the lock *****.
4. Does the interior lock **** have wiggle room in the door panel?
a. Yes >> This Service Bulletin does not apply, Further diagnosis is required.
b. No >> Proceed to Step #5
5. From inside the vehicle lock and unlock the door with the power door lock
switch/FOBIK. Watch the lock **** and door panel as switch is being activated.
6. Was there any interference detected between the lock **** and door panel?
a. No >> This Service Bulletin does not apply, Further diagnosis is required.
b. Yes >> Proceed to Step #7
7. Remove door trim panel. Refer to the detailed removal and installation procedures
available in DealerConnect> TechCONNECT under: Service info> Body>
Door-Front/Rear> Panel, Door Trim> Removal.
8. Use the FOBIK to lock and unlock the doors.
9. If the locking assembly work's properly then the lock **** has been rubbing the Door
Trim Panel(Fig. 2).
10. Inspect the three ribs inside the lock **** hole and verify how they look compared
to(Fig. 2) number two and three in.
11. Do the ribs match number two (Fig. 2).
a. Yes >> Continue the repair.
b. No >> This Service Bulletin does not apply.
12. Adjust the ribs angle accordingly with a square body file as shown in(Fig. 3) to the
desired angle shown in (Fig. 2) number one.
NOTE: Only modify the bottom portion of the rib(s) keeping top portion square to
avoid rattle sounds.
Fig. 1 DOOR TRIM PANEL
1 - Door Trim Panel
2 - Lock **** Hole
23-004-09 -2-
Fig. 2 LOCK **** HOLE
1 - Correct
2 - Needs Modification
Fig. 3 MODIFYING LOCK **** HOLE
1- Square File
2 - Lock **** hole
NOTE: Adjust lock **** ribs by filling from the inside to remove the lower rib edge.
The tapered profile must be maintained to keep the lock **** from rattling in
the door panel.
-3- 23-004-09
13. Install door trim panel. Refer to the detailed removal and installation procedures
available in DealerConnect> TechCONNECT under: Service info> Body>
Door-Front/Rear> Panel, Door Trim> Installation.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:45 AM
nikilove5

Thank you for the info. That sounds quite complicated for me to try to take on but I'm going to take it to the dealership again and I'll give them the info you gave me. The first time we went they hooked it up to the computer and said there were no errors and sent us away but the locks still dont always work. Sometimes I have to hit unlock 20 times before the doors unlock. Its so frustrating!

Old 12-07-2012, 06:32 PM
jou1031
Default 2010 Journey Unlocks when it chooses

Hi, I have a similar issue. Key fob works when it chooses. Some days, you can unlock the vehicle with one attempt. Other days, you have to hit lock first and then unlock. Other days, nothing works and you have to use the key to open the door which sets off the alarm and I look like I'm stealing my own vehicle.

I have gone to the dealer. Of course the day I went, it worked first attempt. They supposedly did a diagnostic anyway...who knows....but could find nothing wrong. Of course the dealer looked at me with the face "sure there is a problem" and "no never heard of this issue before"

Is there anything I can do myself. Is it a battery that might need replacing. At my wits end, and I'd love especially in the winter, to just get in the vehicle on the first attempt.

Short of running over the fob repeately with the vehicle, I'm open to any suggestions. thanks

Old 10-30-2014, 02:23 PM
cuervo bob
Angry electric door lock problem

I have a 2001 dodge Dakota --2 door- my electric door locks chatter between lock and unlock --even when vehicle is running and off and away from vehicle- key fob works but interior control switch does not sometimes-- I have disconnected interior switch connections yet both door locks tend mostly to want to lock doors -- any idea on how to fix problem-- have disconnected ctm and checked fuses--doesn't remedy cycling of locking mechanism--help

Old 10-30-2014, 04:10 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by cuervo bob
I have a 2001 dodge Dakota --2 door- my electric door locks chatter between lock and unlock --even when vehicle is running and off and away from vehicle- key fob works but interior control switch does not sometimes-- I have disconnected interior switch connections yet both door locks tend mostly to want to lock doors -- any idea on how to fix problem-- have disconnected ctm and checked fuses--doesn't remedy cycling of locking mechanism--help
You have posted in the wrong area This is the Dodge Journey section. You need to post this in the 2nd gen Dakota section.

Quick Reply: Lock Problem