Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2011 Mainstreet FWD

Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Weezknight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Mainstreet FWD

Bought a certified 2011 Mainstreet about 4 weeks ago (12,000 miles). Just dropped it off at the dealer to get checked out, but while I'm waiting, just thought I'd run this by you guys, as I'm not sure if this is all related.

1) First issue that arose was that the "Trac Off" (odd, since we don't have the AWD version) light kept illuminating, along with the check engine light. Did not seem to affect anything, and, after driving, both lights would eventually turn off. This happened about every 3-4 days. Over the past week, it started happening with every start.

2) This past week, when it started to occur more frequently, I noticed that once the car got into the 35-40 mph range, the gas pedal felt like mush. You had to really push it down to get through the gear, and, once it was at like 45, everything went back to normal.

3) Once at cruising speed (55-65 mph), the Journey would "buck" when taking my foot off of the accelerator.

So, any ideas? Would these be related in any way, or are some of these things normal occurrences that I'll just get used to as I drive it more frequently?

Like I said, I'm expecting the dealer to give me a call today, but it is kind of frustrating since I was the one who fell in love with the car, and "sold" the rest of my family on it. Now I feel like I'm on trial with a car that's already in the shop 4 weeks after purchase.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Weezknight

Well, I just heard from the dealer. Sounds like all of the cam phasers are being replaced. Looking around this forum, I guess the Grand Caravan owners know all about these parts.

Hopefully this will solve the problem for good. I think I saw one poster who has had them replaced and is still having problems.

Fingers crossed for a good result. Thank God for buying certified and getting the full factory warranty!

Old 05-08-2012, 01:08 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, the First badge of Cam phaser released are mis-machined. A LOT of 2011 3.6l engine are affected, Charger, Journey, Caravan, C-200, etc... It should fix your problem.
well, these things are covered under 5yr 100k waranty.

Overall, the 2011 Journey aren't bad car, don't see many problems like the 2008-2010 Journey.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Fast Tim
Default Journey things to check

If the issues you describe happened shortly after service by dealer I would suggest you check the following:

1. Did you have the oil changed? If yes check that the oil changer used 5W30 oil. The cam phasors operate on oil pressure, if the oil changer used a thinner weight you could be experiencing reduced phasor operation.

2. Did you have the transmission fluid or filter serviced? Check the transmission fluid level. Some of the symptoms you describe could be the result of low fluid levels. Oil changers sometimes skimp on the amount they put in.

When at the dealer for oil change I insist they use and document 5W30 oil.

At my last oil change at dealer , for whatever reason when they checked air pressure in tires, they reduced the pressure to 30 psi, when it should be 36psi and I normally run 38 psi for improved fuel economy. Next morning after the tires had cooled, all four tire pressure sensors went off for low pressure, all four at same time at 30 psi. Good thing I have a compressor at home, or I would have had to drive back to dealer, or go to a gas station and pay for their coin-operated air pump. Tire pressure warning then went off within the next mile of driving. You have got to watch everything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Mainstreet FWD