Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Love my Journey but I have questions. . .

Old 09-13-2011, 08:37 AM
redtomatoman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love my Journey but I have questions. . .

Hello-
I have a 2011 Journey R/T and so far I have been very happy with it. I have 2 questions that I have not been able to find answers to.

The first is in regards to my DRLs. They do not work. Even when I enable them on the touchscreen, they don't work. Not sure why this is. I thought the R/T model was pretty much loaded, so I assume the option is on the vehicle.

The second is in regards to the keyless pushbutton start option. What happens if my fob dies? Is it possible to start the vehicle using the physical key? I know it can be used to enter the vehicle, but can I start my Journey with it?

I live 2 hours from my Dodge dealer, so that's why I haven't just gone there.

TIA

Peace.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:05 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by redtomatoman
Hello-
I have a 2011 Journey R/T and so far I have been very happy with it. I have 2 questions that I have not been able to find answers to.

The first is in regards to my DRLs. They do not work. Even when I enable them on the touchscreen, they don't work. Not sure why this is. I thought the R/T model was pretty much loaded, so I assume the option is on the vehicle.

The second is in regards to the keyless pushbutton start option. What happens if my fob dies? Is it possible to start the vehicle using the physical key? I know it can be used to enter the vehicle, but can I start my Journey with it?

I live 2 hours from my Dodge dealer, so that's why I haven't just gone there.

TIA

Peace.
Red,

Not sure what you mean by DRL's but if you send me a PM with your VIN and an explanation I will check for you.

As far as the FOB and the push button goes, your 2011 Journey will still be able to be started per below. See your owners manual under A Word About Your Keys for more information.

Key Fob

The Key Fob also contains the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter and an emergency key, which stores in the rear of the Key Fob.
The emergency key allows for entry into the vehicle should the battery in the vehicle or the Key Fob go dead. The emergency key is also for locking the glove box. You can keep the emergency key with you when valet parking.
To remove the emergency key, slide the mechanical latch on the back of the Key Fob sideways with your thumb and then pull the key out with your other hand.

Once inside your vehicle the WIN module will read your FOB and allow you to start the vehicle via the push button.

Keyless Ignition Node (KIN)

This feature allows the driver to operate the ignition switch with the push of a button, as long as the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter is in the passenger compartment.
The Keyless Ignition Node (KIN) has four operating positions, three of which are labeled and will illuminate when in position. The three positions are OFF, ACC, and ON/RUN. The fourth position is START, during start RUN will illuminate.
Note: In case the ignition switch does not change with the push of a button, the RKE transmitter (Key Fob) may have a low or dead battery. In this situation a back up method can be used to operate the ignition switch. Put the nose side (side opposite of the emergency key) of the Key Fob against the ENGINE START/STOP button and push to operate the ignition switch.

Last edited by DodgeCares; 09-13-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:56 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The DRL option is only enabled for Canadian vehicle. Because Candian government mandates it. It doesn't work on US vehicle.

regarding the key fob, there is a metal key in the fob to open door. as for Starting the vehicle, Just hold the fob next to the button, press and hold the push start button, vehicle will start.
If you are skeptical about, remove the key fob battery and try it, it will work.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Fast Tim

The DRL (Daytime running lights) will work if you change the "Country Code" in the EVIC to "Canada".

Old 05-15-2012, 03:48 PM
capk69
Default Doesn't work for me...

I tried this and it didn't work for me. I periodically have to park my car very near many communications/repeater towers. I get "Key Fob not Detected", even with BOTH key fobs on the push button start switch as described below. I NEED a solution, quickly so that I do not have to give this car and future Chrysler products. HELP!

Keyless Ignition Node (KIN)

This feature allows the driver to operate the ignition switch with the push of a button, as long as the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter is in the passenger compartment.
The Keyless Ignition Node (KIN) has four operating positions, three of which are labeled and will illuminate when in position. The three positions are OFF, ACC, and ON/RUN. The fourth position is START, during start RUN will illuminate.
Note: In case the ignition switch does not change with the push of a button, the RKE transmitter (Key Fob) may have a low or dead battery. In this situation a back up method can be used to operate the ignition switch. Put the nose side (side opposite of the emergency key) of the Key Fob against the ENGINE START/STOP button and push to operate the ignition switch.
[/quote]

Old 05-16-2012, 07:37 AM
bigtsr
Captain

" get "Key Fob not Detected", even with BOTH key fobs on the push button"

This would indicate that the module that detects the keys presence
is defective if doesn't detect either key in the cabin.
What year is your Journey?
I know this feature is availiable on 2011-12s with regards RFID chip
but not sure about earlier models.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Fast Tim
Default Key FOB

You have to make sure that the key fob is pressed into the start button with the side opposite of the emergency door key. It is my understanding that as it is pushed in with the fob, it is read with an "induction " type loop, that is why it will work even without a battery in the key fob.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Love my Journey but I have questions. . .