Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Location of win module, please help!!!!

Old 09-24-2011, 04:04 AM
lago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location of win module, please help!!!!

Hi guys Im having trouble with my 2009 D journey it does not start like it used to now it does when it wants to, I have read a lot of things and try all of them move the shifter, remove the fuse and after a few minutes place it back, nothing seams to give a clear answer, what I have not done is replace the win module but it is quite expensive, does anybody knows where it is located? any help out there please, schematics? will be very much appreciated, Thank you in advance, at least I want try to do some checkong for my self as the module and service comes toghter at about 900.00 Dls, unfortunately is out of warranty, life it's just taking a **** on me please help!! Thank you

Last edited by lago; 09-24-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:20 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How does it cost u $900? the Win module itself cost $100.
If you turn the key, and the car doesn't do ANYthing, and u know there is battery power, then it is probably the WIN.
to replace the WIN, few tools u need is
T20 torx screw driver, prefers long one
philip screw driver
10MM socket
8mm socket
maybe 7mm socket, rathet, and extension.
some type of plastic prying too to pry of the dash.

disconnect battery jumper post
remove item following the picture

pry off the Intrument cluster

and the u drop the WIN module down.
#1 shown in pic is the WIN module, reverse step for installation.

after that, you still have to tow it to a dealership for programing it. unless u can pay a tech to come out for programing.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:40 PM
lago

Thank you for your reply my car is out of warranty it acording to dealer since I have 62000 mls on it, I work sorry, used to work, and travell all over west cost, It is 150.oo for diagtcs even know they say it was the module they say still has be connected to the diagntcs computer to be sure! module 275.00 and 300 for replcing module, Im in Cali. I dont know if prices are de same all over at least that's what I was quoted, plus tax's.
Thank you very much for you help really appreciate it!

Last edited by lago; 09-24-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:00 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lago
Thank you for your reply my car is out of warranty it acording to dealer since I have 62000 mls on it, I work sorry, used to work, and travell all over west cost, It is 150.oo for diagtcs even know they say it was the module they say still has be connected to the diagntcs computer to be sure! module 275.00 and 300 for replcing module, Im in Cali. I dont know if prices are de same all over at least that's what I was quoted, plus tax's.
Thank you very much for you help really appreciate it!
no clue, but $100-$120 is the List price from the manufacturer. you can probably get it from Online dealership for $80ish. If you are buying from Online dealership, Make sure u CALL them and give them ur VIN number, it will assure you get the right WIN module.
for $275, you could buy a Mopar Remote start kit. It comes with a WIN module, 2 extra key, and a remote start feature. Call around ur local dealership.
for $900, I'll gladly take that money, Buy a plane ticket, fly down the california from the east coast and fix it for u, LOL

Last edited by steak59; 09-24-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:32 PM
lago
Default Disable Alarm

I know, This is why I placed a shoutout for help, Thank you Anyhow, here is the deal, I found out that it is the Alarm that it is interfering with the ignition, before i notice that it would take a 2nd try before it run but I tought that was kind of of ok being an electronic key it didn't botter, but lately it's goten soo bad!! thats why I ask for help! here is where the drama begins I can't go back to the place where they install it no answer place gone out of business, I remove the alarm but the car won't start only if I place the alarm back, when I disconected it it will take from 2 up to 15 + times before it starts but as soon as i connected it back in it will start righ away, the alarm is an ultigard, so it has to be connected in order to start but it will take forever to start, the only way is if i disconnect and reconnect right away then it will star right away any ideas on how to unprogram/disable this witch with capital B?
Thank you
Lago

Last edited by lago; 09-25-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:39 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

I still think you have a bad WIN module. because i've seen this happen all the time, cars with or without alarm on it.
Even if the problem is the alarm, once u disconnect the alarm, car should start up fine. alarm system only has 2 wires to tap into the factory CAN network, if you disconnect the alarm, the network should restore back to factory setting.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:55 PM
lago

K, Thank you I will search for a win mdle and look for someone to reprogram the win I'll do some more home work, I thank you again
Lago

Old 09-25-2011, 07:26 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I see more damn problems start with aftermarket alarms than anything else added to a vehicle in the aftermarket! Same as it was when I had one installed in my 280Z in the mid '80s. You'd think 25 years later that they'd have the technology right by now!!!

Old 09-26-2011, 10:59 PM
lago

yeap! you'll think that's the way it should be, Just one thing that is rooming around, just to enhance my knolodge, if the car won't run with the alarm connected and as soon as I desconnect and reconnect with in 3 scnds the car will start right away each time on the fst try every time, shouldn't it had fail being the win module at fault? how does it work? wether I connect or disconnect at least will give 1 fail after I disconnect/reconnect
Thanks
Lago

Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

I have a 08 Charger with same problem few months ago. Altho I did not try connect/disconnect alarm and see if it start. I saw the remote start on the vehicle, So i disconnected, car still will not start. So i replaced the WIN module, The WIN module will not program to the PCM when the alarm is connected to the car, when I removed it, program the WIN, car starts up. But as soon as I connect the remote start module, car will not start, PCM is ignoring the WIN's command. I Disconnected the alarm, told the customer the Alarm killed the WIN somehow, charged her like $300, and send her on her way, havent seen her again.

Here is how it suppose to work, when you insert the Key, the WIN module will check for the Key's transponder code, and if it is the code that's programed to the WIN module. If it is the right key, it will send message to the PCM, and PCM will verify the transponder code that's in the pcm,and start the vehicle.

Aftermarket Alarm system has a module that Substitute the WIN module, and sends msg to the PCM and start the car. And I believe alarm shops have equipment to program the remote start module to the PCM.

What I think it is happening is when the PCM runs a Transponder code check with the WIN, it sees the remote start module on the network that is telling the PCM "ignition key is in OFF position". Yet, the WIN module is telling the PCM it is in "ON position", so the PCM goes "WTF?" and ignored everything.

If I see something like this again, I would probably unplug the Remote start module, and try erase all keys in the system, and reprogram the WIN and all keys with the PCM. If it work, I would probably just throw away the remote start system. If it doesn't, and customer wants to get another remote start, I would probably sell a Mopar Remote start kit.

Usually when cars have aftermarket alarm system, When I scan the car with a scanner, it will throw me a Bunch of "SKIM mis-match" type of error.
If I have the scanner and car with me, I will probably

When you turn the Key to ON position, does all Lights like up, window work, blowers and radio comes ON? or does the car just seem to ignore ur key position?

Last edited by steak59; 09-26-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Location of win module, please help!!!!