Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Mystery Grinding Noise - 2010 Journey

Old 10-13-2011, 03:24 PM
WhiskeyBravo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Grinding Noise - 2010 Journey

After having my car serviced under warranty for all 4 brakes and rotors, I got my car back along with a mystery grinding noise. I brought it back to the dealer who said it wasn't the brakes, it's something else.

The dealer had my car for almost two weeks and replaced a bunch of things including crap I never heard of. I just got it back today and was told it was done. Dealer told me that the regional service rep was even there to take a listen to my mystery noise. It's still making the noise.
I've attached the service record for your viewing pleasure.

I can make the noise happen while moving. Slight acceleration makes it go away, deceleration and acceleration makes it come and go. The noise is similar to the noise you would hear when cutting metal on a lathe. Sounds like brakes, right? They say it's not. So I called Dodge Customer Care.

Dodge told me to take it to another dealer, so I asked Dodge for a recommendation based on customer satisfaction. I was told that they don't provide that information - only a list of dealers.

Does anyone know of a good Dodge dealership in northern NJ? Any suggestions other than earplugs or crank the radio?

Attached Thumbnails Mystery Grinding Noise - 2010 Journey-jj-journey.jpg  
Old 10-13-2011, 10:35 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

it only happens when the vehicle is moving and not free reving? then it shouldnt be an engine noise.
But according to your service history, the dealership seem to be hearing noise from the Engine.
The 3.5l have some Lifter rocker shaft problems, might be that if the noise is from the engine compartment.

If the noise is from outside, possibly it is the brake. All I could say is lift up the car and drive it on the rack. or spin the wheels by hand. But... since you are under waranty, definitely find another dealership.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:45 AM
19InBlkJrny

That's right steak, any OHC engine is going to have some tapping to it. You'll normally never hear me defend a dealer, but WOW, those folks put in the work. Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, etc. It seems like they made a good effort. It might still be the brakes, if they didn't seat the rear calipers correctly. They have to be screwed in not just pushed like the front.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:45 PM
WhiskeyBravo

The noise is not loud. It can't be heard from the outside with the windows down. It's a dull grinding -sounds like a cutting tool on a metal lathe. If I apply enough gas pedal, I can make it dissipate. Easing up on the gas brings the noise back. It seems to be coming from the vicinity of the center or right of center around the floor pan area. This Journey is 2WD, so I'm not sure if there are any moving parts past the firewall on a 2WD.

When I'm driving I have two distinct sources of noise; regular engine noise from the front of the vehicle and the grinding noise which seems independent of the engine and on my side of the firewall.

I will try another dealer.....eventually, but I wish there was some way of determining if this is outside the expertise or qualifications of a particular dealership and their mechainics. I hate to go through the whole process of getting a rental car and crap just to be back in the same spot again.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:56 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Whiskey is this a 3.5L in your Journey? Is it grinding or is it a wierd fluttery whining type noise? NM. it looks like they did the water pump. We've had a few making some strange noises.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:05 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
The noise is not loud. It can't be heard from the outside with the windows down. It's a dull grinding -sounds like a cutting tool on a metal lathe. If I apply enough gas pedal, I can make it dissipate. Easing up on the gas brings the noise back. It seems to be coming from the vicinity of the center or right of center around the floor pan area. This Journey is 2WD, so I'm not sure if there are any moving parts past the firewall on a 2WD.

When I'm driving I have two distinct sources of noise; regular engine noise from the front of the vehicle and the grinding noise which seems independent of the engine and on my side of the firewall.

I will try another dealer.....eventually, but I wish there was some way of determining if this is outside the expertise or qualifications of a particular dealership and their mechainics. I hate to go through the whole process of getting a rental car and crap just to be back in the same spot again.
Whiskey,

The TSB I have listed below does not match your location of the sound but because you said it only happens when the vehicle is moving I believe it may be worth a look by the dealer if your vehicle fits the criteria listed.

NUMBER: 21-008-10
GROUP: Transmission and
Transfer Case
DATE: November 10, 2010

SUBJECT:
Transfer Gear Bearing Noise
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the transfer gear bearings.
MODELS:
2010 JC Journey
2010 JS Sebring/Avenger
2010 RT Town & Country/Grand Caravan
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicle equipped with a 62TE automatic transmission
(sales code DG2) built from January 1, 2010 (MDH 0101XX) through July 28,
2010 (MDH 0728XX).
DIAGNOSIS:
Customers may indicate that they hear a high pitch noise or growl coming from the left side
of the vehicle.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:56 PM
WhiskeyBravo

Our mystery noise has gotten louder and more interesting. The original noise is more pronounced and is now accompanied by what can only be described as "distant machine gun fire." If I have my foot on the gas in the perfect sweet spot, like a surfer catching a moving wave, I can make the noise loud enough to make you wonder if we're going to need a tow truck to get home.

Once again, the dealer has our Journey. It's going on NINE days now. They believe it's coming from the transmission despite the fact that the trans in on the opposite side on the vehicle.

So, the Journey continues. Pun intended.

DodgeCares - I would assume that the dealer has access to all service bulletins. I'm not sure if the transfer gear bearing SB would pertain to my Journey since it's two wheel drive, but thanks. The regional service rep from Dodge had his hands in it the last time it was at the dealer. I can only assume he/she has a broader view of whats going on with repeat service items. Or at least one could only hope.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:32 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You think it is from the right side of the vehicle? some Journeys are equipped with Extension Intermediate Shaft for the Right side Axle, the Bearing on that shaft goes bad sometimes.
But from your Description, It sounds more like the Transfer gear bearing noise as the TSB provided by DodgeCares. But as for the transfer gear noise, for me, it usually change it's tone/noise level when you change gear.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:56 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
Our mystery noise has gotten louder and more interesting. The original noise is more pronounced and is now accompanied by what can only be described as "distant machine gun fire." If I have my foot on the gas in the perfect sweet spot, like a surfer catching a moving wave, I can make the noise loud enough to make you wonder if we're going to need a tow truck to get home.

Once again, the dealer has our Journey. It's going on NINE days now. They believe it's coming from the transmission despite the fact that the trans in on the opposite side on the vehicle.

So, the Journey continues. Pun intended.

DodgeCares - I would assume that the dealer has access to all service bulletins. I'm not sure if the transfer gear bearing SB would pertain to my Journey since it's two wheel drive, but thanks. The regional service rep from Dodge had his hands in it the last time it was at the dealer. I can only assume he/she has a broader view of whats going on with repeat service items. Or at least one could only hope.
Whiskey,

The dealer does have access to all service bulletins. I post them just in case the dealer is not as thorough in seeking them out as they should be, which unfortunately happens too often in my opinion.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:53 PM
WhiskeyBravo

Update: The dealer tells me that Dodge insists that they try replacing the engine mounts before dropping the trans. Almost two weeks now at the dealership.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mystery Grinding Noise - 2010 Journey