Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

journey fuel guage issue

Old 10-20-2011, 08:33 PM
devob1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default journey fuel guage issue

Good evening Folks, i have a 2011 journey crew, and from day 1 have had isues with my fuel gage not completly filling, when i would fill it it would only get to 3/4 full and after that it would only fill to the 7/8 mark. so i let it get all the way empty and when i filled it it only would take 60L of the 80. When i took it to the dealer they said they would change the fuel sending unit. That worked for about a week and now its doing it again. they looked at it a second time and dont seem to know whats going on. Anyone have any ideas?
thanks

Old 10-20-2011, 10:46 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would ask them to drop the gas tank and move the sending unit by hand, and see if the gauge goes to top. If it does, you probably need a gas tank. If not, problem might be the gauge or a bad new fuel sending unit.

I've seen this b4 on a 2011 journey, but the fuel sending units fixed the problem tho.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:07 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I would have the dealer try to calibrate the gauges first and then check the fuel sending unit.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:34 PM
klokman
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

devob1,
i am having the same problem with the gauge only going to 7/8. did you ever the problem rectified?
thanks

The following users liked this post:
Lily daPink (06-20-2023)
Old 12-13-2011, 12:59 PM
goingwest

Originally Posted by master tech
Welcome to DF
I would have the dealer try to calibrate the gauges first and then check the fuel sending unit.
Master Tech , I'm having the same problem with the fuel gauge. When the car is full of gas it will not read full. When I run it all the way down to where the gauge says empty and only 8 miles to go it will only hold 16 gal of fuel.
When you say have the dealer calibrate the gauge is that something they can do with a scan tool.

Thanks Jerry

Old 08-15-2013, 12:13 PM
ErinBrooks
Default Fuel Gage

My 2012 Journey will only show 7/8th full and on occasion go tot he full mark. Must be an issue they need to fix.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:43 PM
CPASteve
Thumbs down Same Problem

I bought a 2012 Journey with 3.6 L engine. Gas gauge has the same problem with only showing 7/8 when I fill. Ran it down to 58 miles distance to empty and took less than 15 gallons to fill it. Took to dealer today (10-8-2014) and they told me that there is no software update for the problem. They have no idea on how to resolve the problem. I guess I will try running it below empty and see what happens.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:27 AM
bigtsr
Captain

Inherent problem associated to the DJ my '11
has done this intermittently since day one.
Minor annoyance I just fill to auto stop slowly.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:29 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CPASteve
I bought a 2012 Journey with 3.6 L engine. Gas gauge has the same problem with only showing 7/8 when I fill. Ran it down to 58 miles distance to empty and took less than 15 gallons to fill it. Took to dealer today (10-8-2014) and they told me that there is no software update for the problem. They have no idea on how to resolve the problem. I guess I will try running it below empty and see what happens.
Did the dealer check if technical service bulletin 08-063-12 was applicable to your vehicle?
The bulletin is for "Fuel gauge will not read full after filling up the fuel tank". The repair is to replace the fuel pump module.
MODELS:
2011 - 2012 (JC) Journey
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with 3.6L, or 2.0L Turbo Diesel engine (sales code ERB or EBT) equipped with a 20.5 Gallon Fuel Tank (sales code NFP) built before May 30, 2012 (MDH 0530XX) or 2.4L engine (sales code ED3) equipped with a 20.5 Gallon Fuel Tank (sales code NFP) or export fuel tank (sales code XDC) built before May 30, 2012 (MDH 0530XX).
NOTE: This bulletin DOES NOT apply to vehicles equipped with All Wheel drive (AWD).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
After filling up the fuel tank, the customer may notice that their fuel gauge does not read full. On further inspection the tech will NOT find any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) for this condition.
Replacement of the Fuel pump module will repair this concern.
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT. This condition will not set any DTC's, however if any of the DTC's listed below are present record them on the repair order and repair them first before proceeding further with this bulletin.
· P0460-11 - Fuel Level Sensor 1 - Circuit Short To Ground
· P0460-15 - Fuel level sensor 1 - circuit short to battery or open
· P2065-11 - Fuel level sensor 2 - circuit short to ground
· P2065-15 - Fuel level sensor 2 - circuit short to battery or open
· P0461 - Fuel level sensor 1 performance
· P0462 - Fuel level sensor 1 circuit low
· P0463 - Fuel level sensor 1 circuit high
· U110C - Lost fuel level message
· U1411 - Implausible fuel volume signal received
NOTE: If the customer has any other fuel gauge symptoms other than the one listed above, this bulletin does not apply and normal diagnostic needs to be performed.
If the customer describes the symptom, perform the Repair Procedure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: journey fuel guage issue