Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

New to Dodge and need help with Uconnect

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 PM
merr10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Dodge and need help with Uconnect

My wife just bought a 2012 Dodge Journey with Uconnect. I am having issues with the USB function and the manual hasn't been any help.

My wife put her USB flash drive, which contains around 1200 MP3 songs on it. In Uconnect only around 250 songs show up. The songs are just on the root of the drive, no playlists or subfolders.

Is there something I need to do to get Uconnect to play all the songs.

FYI, my wife was a Ford owner and used Ford's Sync system, which also has USB. The drive was used in the ford and set up this way and it played all the songs.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by merr10; 04-28-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:31 AM
bigtsr
Captain

No do to software limitations imposed on the Uconnect
by Chrysler it will only recognize 250 songs.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:32 PM
merr10

Wow, only 250 songs. So what's the point of even having a USB slot. I mean 250 songs on a USB flash drive is nothing now days.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:57 PM
bigtsr
Captain

Originally Posted by merr10
Wow, only 250 songs. So what's the point of even having a USB slot. I mean 250 songs on a USB flash drive is nothing now days.
While I agree with your comment re what's the reason with the limit,
250 songs at 3 min/avg + 12 hrs of music and at minimal cost of 2-4 GB
thumb drives you could have one for each genre or multiple albums.
I am not an audiophile so it strikes me as a miniscule problem easily
bypassed.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:34 PM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What radio does she have? I have the RHB and I use a thumb drive that has about 1400 songs on it.

Originally Posted by merr10
My wife just bought a 2012 Dodge Journey with Uconnect. I am having issues with the USB function and the manual hasn't been any help.

My wife put her USB flash drive, which contains around 1200 MP3 songs on it. In Uconnect only around 250 songs show up. The songs are just on the root of the drive, no playlists or subfolders.

Is there something I need to do to get Uconnect to play all the songs.

FYI, my wife was a Ford owner and used Ford's Sync system, which also has USB. The drive was used in the ford and set up this way and it played all the songs.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:12 PM
merr10

She has the 4.3S/REB radio.

I called Uconnect to see what the deal is and the lady I spoke with was less then knowledgeable.

First she told me that there was no way that all my songs were MP3 otherwise they would all play. I told her that I was sure that they were all the same format, MP3.

Then she couldn't give me any other explaination, saying that the hard drive on the Uconnect was 16.5 GB so all my songs should play. I didn't know that the Uconnect even had a hard drive.

So after being on the phone for 20 minutes I got nowhere other than it should play all the songs but no answer to why it doesn't.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 AM
redtomatoman

The best option is an iPod or streaming via bluetooth from your smart phone. All songs will display and play. I turn the gracenote database off as I find it has some errors. No album art that way, but that doesn't bother me too much.

Peace.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 AM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When streaming audio, album, artist & track info won't display unless the phone supports AVRCP 1.3 and sends Meta Data. Most phones don't but a few do and more are starting to.
When having an iPod plugged into the docking cable, you have all of the media info, device charging and you also have a full line of voice command where with streaming audio, your only voice command is next track & previous track (which starts at the beginning of the currently played track.

Originally Posted by redtomatoman
The best option is an iPod or streaming via bluetooth from your smart phone. All songs will display and play. I turn the gracenote database off as I find it has some errors. No album art that way, but that doesn't bother me too much.

Peace.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:13 PM
EdRitchotte

The Uconnect Hard Drive will not recognize any folders that don't have music files in them. Usually, music folders are arranged by 'Group Name', 'Album Name'. If the Uconnect sees this arrangement, It will look at the group folder, see no music files, (only album folders) and skip to the next group. I posted instructions on the Chrysler Forum, and here they are for your convenience. Good Luck. Also remember not to have more than 480 music group folders or the Uconnect will not recognize any more.

Hi All
I just went through a learning experience loading music to the Uconnect Hard Drive on my new Chrysler 200, So I thought I should post information to help others. Here is how I did it:
1. Use Windows Media Player (WMP) to make a playlist of the music you would like to add.
2. Insert a high capacity thumb drive in your computer.
3. Create a folder on the thumb drive called 'My Music'.
4. With the playlist on the right side of the player, select the Synch tab.
5. The synch command should appear halfway down the right column. It will say Synch 'playlist name' to 'G:\'. or other USB Port.
6. Make the synch selection, then allow the computer to copy the files.
7. When the copying is finished, open Windows Explorer (WE).
8. The files on the thumb drive will be sorted by group name then album name. Since the Uconnect will not recognize folders that do not have music files, you will have to move all of the music files out of the album folders and into the group's root folder.
9. When you have moved all of the music files out of the album folders, delete the now empty album folders.
10. The thumb drive is now ready to be installed on the Uconnect.
11. Plug the thumb drive into the Uconnect.
12. Press the 'My Files' hard button.
13. Press the 'My Music' soft button.
14. Press the 'Add Music to HDD' Soft button.
15. Select 'From USB'
16. Select the 'My Music' folder on the thumb drive.
17. Start the download. (find something else to do for a while.)
18. Enjoy your music collection on your Uconnect Hard Drive.

Last edited by EdRitchotte; 05-22-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:32 AM
sjoerd22

A lot of MP3 songs do not show up because the correct MP3 tags are absent. Look for BluMeUSB software to correct this. It was developed for the Blu&Me system on Fiat but would be just the ticket for this.
Not only does it correct issues with MP3 tags, it also de-clutters the USB drive, deletes stuff like album covers and it adjusts the overall sound level. You don't want any loud surprises while driving!
There is a free download for Dodge Forum readers at http://www.fiat500soft.com

Last edited by sjoerd22; 01-11-2015 at 02:17 AM. Reason: extra info

Quick Reply: New to Dodge and need help with Uconnect