Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

WAS Considering a Journey for a second vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:02 PM
EDinNB
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WAS Considering a Journey for a second vehicle

Like I said, "WAS". Unless you fine people can convince me otherwise, All I've read here in the past 30 min is the Journey is a POS!

If I jumped to the wrong conclusion, please steer me to the light

I want an AWD Crossover, but the idea of having to purchase the top of the line R/T to get it irks me when the General Moters clan offers it in any trim level, Ford isn't even in the picture, personal preference. I've priced the Rice Burners and my pockets aren't that deep so I'm stick with 2 choices and one of them seems to be dissappearing really fast.

I await your input.

EDinNB
2005 4 Dr Dakota 4X4

Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the rear control arms and outer tie rods in the journeys are junk and will need to be replaces before 25k so yes you were reading correct there a POS. but if your looking for a good AWD thats good on gas and able to go offroad there are several options in a wagon. the suburus are reliable and strong. and in a good price range. the cross country volvos are also good and reliable. i know meny people dont like ford (myself included) but there cross overs are actually really good on gas and roomy and strong ford got there **** together for a change. also the hyundai makes a good SUV but idk about there cross overs.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:02 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I dunno, I read EVERYWHERE what a total POS they are, but my mom's 2010 is going to the dealership next week for a recall and it'll be the first time it's gone for anything other than the free oil changes and a tire rotation in the year and a half she's had it.

Not even the rotors have acted up yet.

Now I'm not saying people aren't having real issues but if you rely on forum reading for a true picture of a vehicles reliability, you are going to get a skewed picture. 25% of people on a specific vehicle forum are enthusiasts, the other 75% get on because they are having a problem or problems with the vehicle and usually not till after they've tried the dealer, local mechanic, neighbor who can turn a wrench - all with no satisfaction.
This is especially the case with newer vehicles, where there isn't a following built up yet. Where you might see a high percentage of enthusiasts and read good reviews in say the 2nd Gen Ram ('94-'01) section, if you read the 4th Gen Ram ('09+) you'd think the thing is the worst POS ever built.
The other problem you get here is the section has next to no activity, what are there, about 5 new threads created a month? Compared to the 15-20 created AN HOUR in the Ram sections, you aren't getting a very good sampling here.

When I bought her the Journey, we looked at about EVERY mid-compact size SUV out there, she didn't want a big one, or a tiny one. Very few choices in the size she liked. I tried to get her into a Nitro or Liberty, but she hated the boxy look.

The only vehicles she liked were the Honda CRV, Toyota Highlander and the Journey.
The Journey was WAY better equipped as far as features go and the dealer took $8k off the sticker with no hassle whatsoever. Coupled with the fact that both Jappers started a good bit higher on the sticker and the dealers would barely come off list AND the fact the Dodge dealer allowed $4k more for her '07 Grand Caravan in trade, this was really the only viable option. The CRV would have been $14,000 more and the Highlander almost $19,000!

Now I'm not recommending the Journey, but I'm saying you probably should get a better sampling of owner opinions and data from other sources before you just rule one out.

Hopefully, my mother's good luck with hers continues...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 05-06-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:51 AM
EDinNB
Rookie

I realize that sole research done on a forum is very subjective. FYI I've been a licensed mechanic since 1978 and I can usually spot a trend on these forums. When I bought my 2005 Dakota 2.5 yrs ago, I wanted a Dakota and that was all there was to it. I don't usually believe the extended warranties are worth the price, but my first hand knowledge of Dakota issues and the confirmation I'd read here convinced me to add the best Dodge had to offer from the dealer on a used vehicle. So far it has been a waste of $2400CDN but there is still a year to go on the warranty so we will see.

The one thing that really burns me about the Journey is i want the AWD version and in order to get that option I have to go to the R/T level to get that where mid level trim/options would be more than sufficient for me.

Thanks for the opinion, they are always appriciated..

EDinNB

Old 05-06-2011, 01:07 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I did the same thing when I bought my daily driver, an '02 Grand Cherokee Overland. I had the option in '06 when I bought it of covering it with an extended warranty. It had 61k on it and I had the balance of the 7/70 power train for $100 transfer fee. I figured that was worth it, cause odds were if it had an issue that I didn't catch, it would show itself in 9k miles and the $100 was a good insurance policy.
Now I'm not a mechanic by trade, but my Grandfather and uncle were life-long mechanics and my father worked as one for many years, often as a 2nd job. My uncle and father were weekend pit-guys at the local track when I was pre-school. So I ain't exactly unknowledgeable.

The Jeep forums were LOADED with posts about what POS's the GC was and it seemed the higher end the thing was, the more people had issues with them. Laredo wasn't too bad, Limited worse, Overland a nightmare.

What I was finding was that the GC had a VERY SOLID power train, but ALL the little fancy electronic "extras" were flimsy, cheap crap!

So I decided NOT to get the warranty, as it appeared mostly everything that was a common issue wasn't gonna leave me on the side of the road or with an engine or transmission to have to pay for.

So far, almost 5 years and 40k miles later, thing still runs like a top. I've had some of the common things go. Lost a full weekend to replacing the blend doors, recirc and evap core (the blend doors were shot, the rest was because I was in that far, I'm sure as a mechanic you can appreciate that). Two power window assemblies (under $100 and a half hour to replace) and the heated seats don't work (ain't fixin' them, could care less).

A shame you gotta go into an R/T for AWD. Should be an option at least on all the V6s...

Old 05-06-2011, 03:34 PM
EDinNB
Rookie

I hear ya about the fancy stuff and true or not, sometimes it is those little things that people "think" they need that causes the problems and adds to their overall satisfaction with the vehicle...That is why I wan't a lower to mid level of "fancy stuff" on my vehicles.. the less toys the less aggravation, and I've already noticed the "bell and whistle" failures on the pages her about Journey... so if I got to get every gizmo that the Dodge engineers want us to do the R&D for just to get the AWD option, I'll pass thank you very much.

EDinNB

Old 05-07-2011, 03:07 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

are you talking about getting a Brand New journey or a used one?
the 08 and 09 are plague with problems. first yr model and chasis, what you expect?
the 2010, they seem to fixed most of the common problem, assuming due to high waranty claim rate.
2011, i love the interior, but I havent had my hand on any yet due to it is still new. and Chrysler just implanted a new Eletronic network on the Journey and Charger.

what other option do you have? the Toyota Rav4 and CRV is not bad, but they do not offer as much features for the same price.
Ford Escape... I dont even want to mention it. it feels cheap and flimsy on the inside.
I havent had my hand on the Chevy yet, so i have no knowledge on them.

All the AWD in these small SUV are not that strong. They are only there to improve traction on low speed, you can not expect to tow and haul or go Off-road with it. They would overheat and disengage itself after a while.

What hammer said is all true, he is one of the most knowledgable person in the forum. I hardly have problems with Base Model Grand Cherokee. When you go onto Higher Trim level, you are going to have fun with ur mechanic.

The 2005 Dakota you have, I doubt extended waranty is worth it. Occassionally i see a Ball-joint, tie rod end, or U-Joint failure, just like most trucks. I dont think extended waranty will pay for itself if u keep up on ur maintainence with the Drive train component.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:07 PM
EDinNB
Rookie

I've only put in 1 claim on the Ext warranty so far, but still waiting for the big one.....Local sales rep for a welding had a new 05 identical to mine and in 15 months had 100K miles on it at 30K after all highway driving, zero off roading and abuse as it is was a company truck... tranny let him down on the road.....That baout sickened me on the Dakota but I really wanted one, so i took the chance with the EXT warranty, time will tell if it was money well spent or not.

Getting back to the Journey, maybe things have improved, and no I live in eastern Canada, so I want the AWD for winter driving not towing and off roading FWIW I've never had the Dakota in the mud. My biggest complaint is AWD is only available in the R/T trim and I don't want to go to that level of options for the potential issues later on, but I may have to take one out for a drive and a good looking over before I cross it off my list...Would be a shame to by Non Dodge and regret it...

EDinNB

Old 05-09-2011, 09:33 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought you can get a Mainstreet AWD.
Honestly, if AWD is a MUST, do NOT get a journey. We are having so much freaking problems with the rear differential on the awd journey, Compass, patriot, caliber. Mainly oil leak. But sometimes for noise.
It is not just dodge, the Toyota tech i know see a lot of problems with the RAV4 rear dif as well. and I personally did a few rear dif seal leak on the Ford Escape too.
and I do NOT trust the Pentstar engine yet, again, first year motor. We just put an engine in a 2011 Minivan for Knocking noise. We did not torn it down because chrysler wants the whole engine back as is. give it a yr or 2.

These rear differential for small SUV sucks! and if you are going for the R/T trim journey, might as well pay little more and get a Grand Cherokee.
The GrandCherokee has MecedezBenz ML platform and Drive train in it.

Last edited by steak59; 05-09-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:57 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

we got an 09 without even knowing what a Journey was before we went to the dealer. It's the base SE with a 4cylinder. Being the first year of this new model, it has it's share of problems that they all had, apparently: disks and rotors all around in the first 20k, simply horrible headlights (I drive around with the high beams on all the time and never get flashed), pretty crappy mileage from a 4 banger (18-19 around town, 24-26 on trips, only a couple of clicks from my V8 Dakota), but the thing drives great and has plenty of power, they geared it right. We load that thing up on trips and it never complains. I hope that by now they have addressed the issues that gave the earlier models the "POS" badge. I think any vehicle can wear that badge at any time. I'm looking forward to when this one is paid off looking at a newer one (provided Dodge is still around in 2013, lol).

Quick Reply: WAS Considering a Journey for a second vehicle