Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2009 Dodge Journey overheating

Old 09-30-2013, 12:27 PM
TKH3299
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Dodge Journey overheating

My issues started about a month ago. My 2009 Journey overheated and I got it to a garage. They found the coolant level low and added coolant. They did a compression test which came back fine.

A week later, I had the same issue. I took it to my local mechanic and he seemed to think that the cooling fan was not engaging. He messed with the fuses and everything seemed to work fine.

Here we are two weeks later and again the same issue. The car is driving fine and suddenly overheats. We replaced the thermostat on Saturday and had no issues through the weekend. This morning on my drive to work, the warning light came on showing it was overheated. This was on for about thirty seconds before it went off and the temperature went down. I do not know what to look at next. Any suggestions?

Old 09-30-2013, 12:51 PM
rg92fm

I would still be leaning toward the thermostat. Did you get the right temperature. Some times that will happen. Are they sure the fans are kicking on at the right temp? They are sensor operated too and those can go bad... Just a few thoughts.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:50 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Did not see anything about the water pump. That been checked? Have you checked for leaks? The coolant must be going somewhere if it gets low in a week. White smoke fromt he tailpipe? Have you checked the oil to see if it contaminated with coolant? Head gaskets can cause the issue you are describing. Especially the "coolant level was low" condition a week after filling it.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:06 PM
TKH3299

The water pump has not been checked as of yet. No white smoke from vehicle at all. I had the oil changed a couple of weeks ago and that did not seem to have coolant in it.

A friend of mine added a cooling system repair additive today thinking that there may be a small leak. Also, I have been told that there may be air in the system. We're going to try to look at that later this evening.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:50 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Yeah, see if you can park in a clean spot overnight and then look underneath the next morning. If it's not burning it, it has to be leaking somewhere and if it was not bled when filled back up it could indeed have air in it.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:13 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Suggestions from the 2009 JC Service Manual:

Determine if any recent service has been performed on vehicle that may affect the cooling system. This may be:
  • Engine adjustments (incorrect timing)
  • Slipping engine accessory drive belt(s)
  • Brakes (possibly dragging)
  • Changed parts. Incorrect water pump or pump rotating in wrong direction due to belt not correctly routed
  • Reconditioned radiator or cooling system refilling (possibly under filled or air trapped in system).

Condition: TEMPERATURE GAUGE READS HIGH OR ENGINE COOLANT WARNING LAMP ILLUMINATES. COOLANT MAY OR MAY NOT BE LOST FROM SYSTEM.

Possible Cause(s):

Is temperature gauge (if equipped) reading correctly?
Is temperature warning lamp (if equipped) illuminating unnecessarily?
Low coolant level.
Pressure cap not installed tightly. If cap is loose, boiling point of coolant will be lowered.
Poor seals at pressure cap.
Wrong pressure cap installed
2.4L Vehicles: Coolant level low in radiator, but not in coolant recovery container. This indicates the radiator is not drawing coolant from the coolant recovery container as the engine cools. As the engine cools, a vacuum is formed inside the cooling system. If the radiator cap seals are defective, or the cooling system has a leak, a vacuum cannot be formed.
Freeze point of coolant not correct. Mixture ratio may be too rich
Radiator or A/C condenser fins are dirty or clogged.
Radiator core is plugged or corroded.
Fuel or ignition system problems.
Dragging Brakes.
Bug screen or other aftermarket accessory is being used causing reduced air flow.
Thermostat partially or completely closed.
Electric radiator fan not operating properly.
Cylinder head gasket leaking.
Heater core leaking.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 AM
TKH3299

Update from previous post -- My car went all week with no issues. Last evening on the drive home, I noticed it starting to overheat. I pulled over briefly but realized I needed to get off the highway onto a side road. After a few minutes, I restarted the car, put the heater on high and the temperature immediately dropped. I was able to drive it home (about 25 miles) without any issues. I was even able to go back to my AC after about 15 miles with no problems. It only started getting hot when I pulled into my driveway. I opened the hood and could hear a hissing sound. Not from the overflow tank but from underneath the engine. I crawled under the car and noticed leaking from a hose. I could not get to it (and it was hot) to see if it was a bad connection or if the hose had a small leak. I am having the hose looked at today. I was able to drive the car to a friend's house this morning (30 miles) with absolutely no issues. I'm so frustrated.

Stupid question, I know, but could a leaky hose be causing these overheating issues?

Old 10-08-2013, 10:08 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

If the coolant level is getting low due to the leak then yes a leaky hose can cause overheating because all your coolant is leaking out.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:38 PM
GhostZero1987

how is it leaking but not leaving coolant on the ground?? i seem to be having same problem on 2009 dodge journey SXT

Old 01-02-2015, 09:12 AM
didi
Default same issues

I was told it was the lower intake gasket heater hose leaking and I am looking at about 1000 bucks to get it fixed. The Part is close to 300 and I guess the rest is in labor. I asked if he could just change the hose and he said no because the dealer only sells the whole unit. Currently I've found plenty of forums where people said how they just changed the hose but I cannot find anyone willing to just change the hose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 Dodge Journey overheating