Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2013 Journey SXT "Poof/crunch" noise when backing

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:58 AM
betsyabry
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2013 Journey SXT "Poof/crunch" noise when backing

I just bought a brand new 2013 Journey two weeks ago (now has 2000 miles) and noticed EVERY time I would go from reverse into drive, start driving and let the steering wheel straighten up, as soon as I hit appx 5 mps there is a loud "poof/crunch" noise. Kind of like I ran over a crushed soda can. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't get it to duplicate. As soon as I got in to go home it made the same noise so I pulled straight into the service bay and had a tech come with me. It did it again (DUH!) and the tech said, "It sounds like it is coming from up front." (again DUH!) The service manager came out and I did the exact same thing with him as I did with the first tech and sure enough, like I said it did it again. EVERY time we would go from reverse into drive and let the wheel straighten so we could drive it would make the sound once we got moving around 5 mph. The service manager told me it was "normal" that all vehicles do it and it is just louder on some vehicles than on others and that it is the ABS cycling through and preparing itself. The reason his techs couldn't get it to duplicate was because they are used to hearing it and don't pay any attention because it is "normal". Do any other Journey owners have this problem or does anyone have any advice as to what this may be? Before I go down and ask to test drive the other Journey's to find out for myself I though I would check here first. They just had to replace the clockspring as well so I am a little concerned about these random "normal" noises.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:56 PM
bigtsr
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion that's not a normal sound - just know it does not
exist on my '11 DJ.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:38 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I'd tell them to fix it or find another dealer.

Quick Reply: 2013 Journey SXT "Poof/crunch" noise when backing