Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2009 Dodge Journey SE 2.4L - Delayed Startup

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Bash_Man
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steak59
YES. And occasionally, the problem is just a dirty Jumper post terminal that needed to be cleaned, that's why when you hook up the jumper cable, it fires right up.
interesting. Would it be recommended to get them to clean the jumper post terminals or replace them when replacing the battery?

Old 03-29-2014, 10:43 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, the Jumper terminal is the 2 post you hook up a jumper cable it. It is the 2 big nuts mounted on the right front strut mounting point. They are not replaceable.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Bash_Man
Rookie

Hey everyone,
Quick update. This issue hadn't happened to me for a whole week now until today. I drove the car from work to my friend's place (5 min away from work) . Car started no problem. Leave my friend's place, car wouldn't start at all. Tried 3 or 4 times and no go. Right away he popped his van's hood, plugged my jumper cables in and still no go. Tried about 3 or 4 times with jumper cables and no go still.

I unplugged everything, after 3 min I tried again on its own and it started without issue.

What are your thoughts? I am not even sure where to begin.

Last edited by Bash_Man; 04-03-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:42 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash_Man
Hey everyone,
Quick update. This issue hadn't happened to me for a whole week now until today. I drove the car from work to my friend's place (5 min away from work) . Car started no problem. Leave my friend's place, car wouldn't start at all. Tried 3 or 4 times and no go. Right away he popped his van's hood, plugged my jumper cables in and still no go. Tried about 3 or 4 times with jumper cables and no go still.

I unplugged everything, after 3 min I tried again on its own and it started without issue.

What are your thoughts? I am not even sure where to begin.
Like I said, stick your hand in and wiggle the starter terminal. The Starter is sandwiched between the throttle body and the engine block. If you are going to replace it, it will be better to acess it by removing the air intake box.

Terminal I am talking about is #3

Last edited by steak59; 04-04-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:27 AM
Bash_Man
Rookie

hey everyone,
just an update. the problem hasnt happened in sometime now, but I am going ahead with getting the wiring harness/plug for the starter solenoid replaced. I picked up the kit and going to have my mechanic replace it for me same time they swap my snow tires with all seasons and do an oil change.

Will keep you updated on how things after that.

Thanks

Old 10-25-2016, 03:10 PM
Kwilk
Default Same problem

Hi, I am having this problem with my 09 Journey. I see it has been a while since this was posted. If you see this, please let me know if this solved your problem. Thank you, Kristy

hey everyone,
just an update. the problem hasnt happened in sometime now, but I am going ahead with getting the wiring harness/plug for the starter solenoid replaced. I picked up the kit and going to have my mechanic replace it for me same time they swap my snow tires with all seasons and do an oil change.

Will keep you updated on how things after that.

Thanks

Old 10-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Bash_Man
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kwilk
Hi, I am having this problem with my 09 Journey. I see it has been a while since this was posted. If you see this, please let me know if this solved your problem. Thank you, Kristy
Hi Kristy,
Getting the harness in the switch/fob ignition module replaced fixed the issue at the time. I recall the mechanic showing me the harness plugs and they were pretty corroded. I've just recently traded my 09 Journey with a 13 SXT Journey.

Good luck

Old 10-26-2016, 01:38 PM
Kwilk

Thank you! I have been reading so many forums with no real leads to an answer or even where to start. And it's been doing this for a couple years now. I'll try that and hope it works. I appreciate your response.

Hi Kristy,
Getting the harness in the switch/fob ignition module replaced fixed the issue at the time. I recall the mechanic showing me the harness plugs and they were pretty corroded. I've just recently traded my 09 Journey with a 13 SXT Journey.

Good luck

Old 10-27-2016, 06:33 AM
Bash_Man
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kwilk
Thank you! I have been reading so many forums with no real leads to an answer or even where to start. And it's been doing this for a couple years now. I'll try that and hope it works. I appreciate your response.
No problem at all. Good luck on your repair

Old 05-13-2020, 05:46 PM
SecretSquirrel
Default Have power, won't turn over!

We had the same problem, after some research we found out it's caused by the transmission Range Sensor! When you turn the key, and it won't start,, put it in neutral, then start it, it works! If putting it in neutral works, then you know it's the range sensor! I hope this helps someone out!

Quick Reply: 2009 Dodge Journey SE 2.4L - Delayed Startup