Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Brakes on '09 Journey SXT

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 03:07 PM
inuyasha
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes on '09 Journey SXT

I own 2009 Dodge Journey SXT V6 and within 2 years, I’ve already replaced my rotors twice. I’ve read some posts and my friends also say that the rotors on the ’09 are undersized and the vehicle is very heavy so the rotors warp prematurely.

I want to keep the vehicle so I want to find a solution for this. learned something new, when your brakes warp, it’s caused by deposits on the rotor from the pad! It’s not your rotor melting and changing shape. It’s brake pad deposits on the rotor that changes it’s shape. So, lesson I learned is get affordable rotors (such as Lordco $50 rotors) and buy high quality pads (like Napa Premium pads – between $70-120). The nicer pads are less likely to leave deposits on the rotor. Also, the best Napa pads are made by Akebono (I think) so it’s good stuff. The medium quality pad is ceramic and made in Canada (also good reviews).

I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:17 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Our 09 went through two sets of dealer installed rotors before we hit 20k miles. The last time they warped, I bought some good quality aftermarket rotors and ceramic pads (Brake Best was the brand IIRC), when we traded it in at 80k, it still had plenty of brake life left. The brakes on the early model DJ's were horridly undersized.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:11 PM
inuyasha
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the input jkeaton

Quick Reply: Brakes on '09 Journey SXT