Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

damaged valve stem tread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 07:14 PM
inuyasha
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default damaged valve stem tread

I bought an aftermarket aluminum valve cap and after a couple of years, it got stuck on my front valves stems so I had to use wrench to remove it. Result: damaged tread.

I know the valve stem is attached to the TPMS assy, is it possible to buy just the valve stems without the TPMS?

Thanks

Old 04-04-2014, 06:47 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Inuyasha?
Hmm....
Familiar name.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:48 AM
redtomatoman

Yes, Not 100% sure, but I believe it is possible to replace the valve stem on the tpms unit. Any tire store or the dealer should be able to do that for you.

Peace.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:08 PM
inuyasha

do I need to get the OE part? not sure if aftermarket valves will fit.
thanks

Old 04-07-2014, 01:32 PM
webslave
Amateur

Check a couple of automotive stores... NAPA, AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc. They make, or they used to, I've got one, a die that will repair the threads. I've used mine on my ATVs and farm tractor to repair the threads when they get damaged by rocks. Actually, I've got two of them. One is just the repair die and the newest one (I almost forgot that one; I carry it in the ATV) is a combination tool that takes out the valve stem core, repairs the valve stem core threads and can repair the outside threads on the stem and I bought that one recently, so, they still make them.

As a matter of fact, here is the one I'm talking about:
Amazon.com: Rema 4-Way Valve Repair Tool: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Rema 4-Way Valve Repair Tool: Sports & Outdoors
. That will take care of the problem and not require dismounting the tire.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:54 PM
inuyasha

thanks webslave. I think I can get that from Lordco, but how can you repair the outside threads on the stem using that tool? and you said it can be done without dismounting the tire. So that means no bleeding required as well, correct?

Thanks.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:34 AM
webslave
Amateur

No bleeding required... If you look at the picture of the tool on the Amazon site, the large end (on the left side at about 7 o'clock) threads over the stem and cuts/repairs the old threads back onto the stem making it good as new. It is a die (as in a tap and die set) that has the thread specification (pitch and number) of the valve stem's threads. The little gaps in the tool allow the bad metal to fall away leaving clean new threads in its wake. Carefully screw it on, then unscrew it; just like a new cap. Make sure that you hold it straight...if you go crooked it will cut deformed threads. Usually a die can start itself as the first couple of threads are good enough to start it properly. Start it carefully, make a quarter turn, back up an eighth (this lets chips, if any, fall out), make another quarter turn, back an eighth, and keep doing that until you have the threads cut. Never (with any die) just thread it on...that traps the little chips and will gall (ruin) the threads you are trying to cut. Most likely the valve stem is brass and it will thread without much effort. You could even apply a light oil to it (like 3-in-One) to it to make it even easier, but, with brass, that usually isn't necessary.

Edit:

Might as well explain the rest of the tool's parts. The threaded rods; the tapered one at about 11 o'clock and the constant diameter one at about 5 o'clock are for repairing the threads of the valve core. The are the equivalent of a "tap" in a tap and die set. The two different shapes are to handle either of the common valve stem inside core threads. The other prong at about 1 o'clock is what you use to remove the core from the valve stem with. Very useful tool to have around. Many times, a slow leak in a tire may be nothing but a core that has come loose and the 1 o'clock little prong is what you use to tighten it back down with. If you ever have a core go bad (and they do sometimes), then can use the 1 o'clock to remove the bad one, getting a new one from an auto parts store, chase the threads to make sure they are good and clean, then screw the new core in. Viola! Repaired valve stem. That one little tool can handle nearly all valve stem repairs and maintenance without resorting to a new stem.

What's with the ****** of the word I tried to use first; vir with tually on the end? When I posted it, it came out *******ly...

Last edited by webslave; 04-12-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Further explanation of the valve stem tool
Old 04-15-2014, 05:55 PM
inuyasha

thanks for the very detailed explanation webslave, I really appreciate it. more power!

Quick Reply: damaged valve stem tread