Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Towing a 2014 Journey FWD behind a motorhome

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Timon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing a 2014 Journey FWD behind a motorhome

Next year we home to be touring the country in a motorhome and plan to take our Journey along with us.

It would be great to be able to flat tow the Journey but that's not possible, without the addition of a fluid pump but that would likely void our warranty, so we will be using a tow dolly. Since only the rear wheels will be on the ground we'll have to rotate the tires a bit more often to even out the wear and tear but that's not a problem.

The main issue I'm trying to solve is controlling the tail, stop and turn lights since I'd rather not strap on some external lights. The tail lights is the simple problem, I just have to manually turn them on.

The turn signals are also not a big problem since even on a Journey with LED tail lights the turn signals use a standard bulb so a couple of diodes takes care of that problem.

The stop lights are where the problem comes in. They are combined with the tail lights so there isn't a way to splice into them.

What I'm looking for is a taillight converter that take in trailer lighting and issues CAN bus commands which can control the lights. The Jeeps have this builtin but not the Journeys. Has anyone heard of a device that takes trailer wiring and converts to CAN bus commands?

Old 12-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Timon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the stop light problem is solved so I'm getting closer.

The solution requires a 2 wire to 3 wire conveter and three automotive relays. The converter changes the combined stop and turn signals and creates a left, right and stop output which are then connected to the relays. The stop relay NO contacts are then connected accross the brake light switch which will activate the break lights correctly. The left and right relay contacts then feed the turn signals through diode modules designed for this.

Only problem left to solve is remotely turning on the tail lights. As it is you have to manually turn them on and off.

Does anyone have the schemitic of the headlight switch they could send me?

Quick Reply: Towing a 2014 Journey FWD behind a motorhome