Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2009 Journey SE - malfunction in the middle of the hwy

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Bash_Man
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Plus the 09's had their share of issues being the first year and all.
Thanks jkeaton. Do you know If there is an official or an un-official list of common issues with the 09 journey and similar engine/design models?

Thanks

Old 06-09-2014, 02:25 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Well there is a recall for the door switch wiring harness. Causes issues with the door switches no longer working. the 4cylinder engine had an issue with an intake runner valve malfunctioning. Brakes are a big issue (undersized)

Our 09 had the wiring issue (recall), intake runner valve issue, the alternator went out and the AC compressor went out twice. Brakes replaced by the dealer twice (rotors and pads), the third time the rotors warped, I replaced them myself wiith some good aftermarket ones and never had another issue with brakes. We purchased an extended warranty on ours so everything was covered under warranty.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Bash_Man
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Well there is a recall for the door switch wiring harness. Causes issues with the door switches no longer working. the 4cylinder engine had an issue with an intake runner valve malfunctioning. Brakes are a big issue (undersized)

Our 09 had the wiring issue (recall), intake runner valve issue, the alternator went out and the AC compressor went out twice. Brakes replaced by the dealer twice (rotors and pads), the third time the rotors warped, I replaced them myself wiith some good aftermarket ones and never had another issue with brakes. We purchased an extended warranty on ours so everything was covered under warranty.
Yeah I already had the Alternator replaced ($650). had the Startup Alternator wiring harness replaced ($50), Coolant Pipe cracked at the very start of the extreme cold weather ($450). Luckly the Breaks and Rotors were replaced by the dealership the 2nd day after I bought it from them. They were so bad, if I were to break doing 90km/h, the steering wheel would shake really hard. the dealer's "excuse" was as long as they pass safety, they can sell the car. So at the time I told them you pay for everything or I will demand a full refund.

Lets hope no more issues with this car until couple of years when the car really does get old and has a lot of mileage, that way I can blame the age of the car and not crappy production.

I did talk to my friend at the shop I take the car to and he said a lot of the issues he's seen and had fixed in my car have been common among a number of Dodge/Chrysler products, especially the 2.4L/4 Cylinder engines. Chrysler/Dodge is refusing to acknowledge these things and making customers happy for them.

anyways.. not gonna go on here. I just hope this car holds up and no more expensive repairs.

Thanks again for your help jkeaton

Chers

Old 06-10-2014, 07:43 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

We had some issues with ours, but not enough to keep us from getting a new one last year. The models out now are light years ahead of the early models. Superb craftsmanship and build quality. Believe it or not, the early 4 cylinder models seem to hold their calue pretty well. We got $8000 for our 09 with 80,000 miles when we traded it in.

Quick Reply: 2009 Journey SE - malfunction in the middle of the hwy