Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Alternator problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 11:24 AM
montoya13
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator problem ?

Hi all,

So since about 3 weeks I'm hearing a weird clicking/ticking noise coming from the engine area on my Journey SE+ 2009. The noise seems to increase as days go by, and I'm hearing it especially when I brake for a stop or a light and when I put the gaz back. (maybe the reason is just because the engine noise covers the clicking when I'm driving higher than 25 km/h).

My garagist told me last winter that my timing belt was starting to show some wear and I assumed it would be the cause of this noise...

Not knowing exactly what and where is the timing belt, I still opened the hood while the engine was running and noticed the noise seemed to come from a strap going through a couple of gears, all this located on the left side of the engine.

Today I brought it to the garage, and the guy says he has to replace the alternator and belts....
I kind of ''trust'' my garagist, but hey... why not ask reliable people just to make sure all this makes sense...!

Thanks

Tom

Last edited by montoya13; 06-19-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:52 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Are you having issues with charging? Did your "mechanic" actuall test the alternator to arrive at the conclusion it needed to be replaced?

"noticed the noise seemed to come from a strap going through a couple of gears, all this located on the left side of the engine"

Can you elaborate on this? What do you mean?

Old 06-20-2014, 08:20 AM
montoya13
Amateur

Hey jkeaton, thanks for the reply.
Well I didn't have any trouble with starting the engine recently and I don't know if the guy tested it, my wife brought the car to the garage... But last winter I bought a Caterpillar Battery Charger kit for my other car and it has a ''alternator test'' feature so I guess I could give this a try.

Here's a pic I found on the net, I'm talking about these gears and strap. I think this thing does the noise....

Attached Thumbnails Alternator problem ?-dodge-journey-08.jpg  
Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 AM
montoya13
Amateur

Hey guess what, I just called my mechanic. He says the alternator itself is actually ok. Only the strap and gears are in bad condition and are making the noise. He says there's no rush and I could keep driving the car as is for a long time if I'm ok to live with this noise...

His point is if I decide to change the gears and strap, we might as well change the alternator as it's 6 years old... anyway he's going to give me a quote for changing all, and for changing only the gears and strap.
I might consider the option of just living with the noise for a while...!

Old 06-20-2014, 08:43 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Timing BELT wear ?? I wonder what they took apart to be able to see this "wear"? That's a good one! (also, it has a chain)

Yes, those alternators fail like crazy. Also plan on replacing the intake manifold and/or throttle body at around 100K, depending on how good the gas is you run.

Last edited by TNtech; 06-20-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:40 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Those "gears and strap" are your accessory drive belt and all the accessories the belt turns (alternator, ac compressor power steering pump, idler pulleys, etc.) How many miles on the car? It could be as simple as the belt needs to be replaced. It is part of the recommended maintenance to replace that belt after so many miles/years. Refer to your owners manual.

Also, don't just replace the alternator because it's "6 years old". If it aint broke, don't fix it. Thats wasted money IMO. Those alternators are close to $400, plus probably another $200 to replace it, depending on your labor rates. Wait till it actually fails. We replaced the one on our 09 at 80,000 miles. Not because it failed, but because it was making a "noise" my wife found annoying, so the dealer replaced it under warranty. Could have been on its way out, who knows.

Last edited by jkeaton; 06-20-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:58 PM
montoya13
Amateur

My car is 105 000 km.

TNtech: very likely I misunderstood but I remember he told me that he noticed something weird with the timing belt...

anyways I guess I'll just replace the strap if the quote is fine with me.

What worries me most is he said I will have to replace a tie rod soon... already had one replaced on warranty after 3 years. But no more warranty now and this is going to cost a lot...

Old 06-23-2014, 07:50 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Outer tie rods are cheap and easy to replace. If it's an inner tie rod, thats another story.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:27 AM
bigtsr
Captain

Yes the decoupling pulley mechanism on the alternator
on the 4 cyl World engine gives problems after 3-4 yrs,
sounds like walnuts rolling around in a tin can - replace
the alternator as a whole unit.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:10 AM
montoya13
Amateur

So it's 300 $ pieces and labor to change the belt and gears. + 500$ for a lifetime warranty alternator.
So basically, I would need to put a 500 $ investment to ''save'' 150$ labor if they replace the whole unit... Not sure it's worth it.
Of course if the alternator fails soon after, bad decision, but if i change it now, I'll never know !

Quick Reply: Alternator problem ?