Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Aftermarket radio - or replace with OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Canuck77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket radio - or replace with OEM?

Hi all!

I've just become the proud owner of a 2014 Journey base model; an older relative just bought it and then took ill, so I got the vehicle for extremely cheap.

As the base model, it doesn't come with Bluetooth or anything fun like that, and I'd like to replace the existing radio.

A number of aftermarket radios are out there, but I'm thinking that an OEM unit might be the way to go given all of the integration with the climate controls and things like that. I don't know that I want to spent a bazillion dollars for what ultimately would amount to Bluetooth and DVD, though.

My question for the forum: Has anyone replaced a Journey radio unit with either an upgraded OEM unit or an aftermarket? What was the experience after the fact? I'm guessing that aftermarket would necessarily lose all of the in-vehicle integration - right? Can you actually buy an OEM upgraded unit, and do they actually work? I certainly understand that you're not going to get the reverse camera and (probably) GPS functionality since neither of those would have their respective infrastructures installed...

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks a ton!

Old 08-07-2014, 10:51 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Not without a whole bunch of work. Many functions besides the radio are integrated with the touch screen.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Canuck77

Thanks very much for the reply, jkeaton!

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Not without a whole bunch of work. Many functions besides the radio are integrated with the touch screen.

Makes sense. I'm mostly wondering about stuff like Bluetooth, etc.

So, for example:

If I find an OEM radio off a scrapped vehicle (recovery from a wreck, etc), there are obvious things that won't work - rear camera (since there isn't one), etc. Will the rest of the stuff - Bluetooth, the integration with the HVAC system, etc - still function, or is even that a loss?

Old 08-08-2014, 07:55 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I think, if the feature was not included with the vehicle "as-built", any of those functions not working would need to be "turned on" by the dealer.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Bash_Man
Rookie

I have a 2009 journey. I picked up a pioneer fh-x700bt. going to be installed that today. I purchased an OEM integration kit as well so I can use my steering wheel controls with the aftermarket Stereo. I'll let you know how it goes.

But I do know that its ALOT cheaper to buy after market than OEM. This whole package cost me $300 shipped to me. OEM last time I checked used was $700+ on kijiji.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Bash_Man
Rookie

installed the Pioneer FH-X700BT in my 09 Dodge Journey today. Took just about 2 hours total. saved my self $600 on install fee at a shop.

Everything was pretty much straight forward direct plug or solder matching colour wires. Everything tie wrapped neatly and put behind stereo. Front AC panel sits ON flush. only thing is the aftermarket Stereo bracket doesnt have the clips space for the panel clips to click into it, but you cant even tell.

The "worst" part was removing the left side panels by the wind shield and Door to pass the Microphone cable for the Hands free. I clipped it above the rear view mirror. cable is hidden. Audio quality is awesome for both music and phone calls. everything can be done from the front panel of the Stereo receiver, including Bluetooth Audio play.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Bash_Man
Rookie

Where I bought my stereo:
http://www.crutchfield.ca/

Good luck my friend

Old 11-26-2014, 08:28 PM
nrsource19

Quick Reply: Aftermarket radio - or replace with OEM?