Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

First oil change on 2014 Dodge Journey SXT Plus

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 06:54 PM
k9roo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First oil change on 2014 Dodge Journey SXT Plus

I am confused as to when I should have my first oil change done. I have had my 2014 Dodge Journey SXT Plus for 6 months and it has about 3,860 miles on it. I was told to wait on the light to indicate time for an oil change. Someone else said at every 4,000 miles, another said 8,000 miles and the manual does not indicate the mileage it should changed. The manual says to change when indicator light comes on and says not to drive past 10,000 or 12 months whichever comes first. Surely, it's not every 10,000 miles is it as it will take me forever to get to that since I only drive it on short trips within my city, mostly running kids to and from school.

I am really concerned about having the first oil change done as it is the break in oil. I know things have changed with the newer cars but I want to make sure I do not wait too long. My change oil light has not come on yet. Does anyone know how often I should have it change as well as when I should have the first oil change done.
Thanks!

Old 09-15-2014, 07:27 PM
bigtsr
Captain

You may change the OE oil at a number of miles you are comfortable with
and from then on again a number you or the type of oil (synthetic) dictate.
Many of we older owners are in the habit of every 5000 , this of course is dictated
by how and where you drive.
I have always changed every 5000 and still do today.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:32 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

As stated. Change it whenever you feel like it. reset the oil change indicator even though it is not on. I've seen some go to 8-9000 miles before it comes on. I change mine at 6 months or 5000 miles regardless of the light.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:43 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by k9roo
I am confused as to when I should have my first oil change done. I have had my 2014 Dodge Journey SXT Plus for 6 months and it has about 3,860 miles on it. I was told to wait on the light to indicate time for an oil change. Someone else said at every 4,000 miles, another said 8,000 miles and the manual does not indicate the mileage it should changed. The manual says to change when indicator light comes on and says not to drive past 10,000 or 12 months whichever comes first. Surely, it's not every 10,000 miles is it as it will take me forever to get to that since I only drive it on short trips within my city, mostly running kids to and from school.

I am really concerned about having the first oil change done as it is the break in oil. I know things have changed with the newer cars but I want to make sure I do not wait too long. My change oil light has not come on yet. Does anyone know how often I should have it change as well as when I should have the first oil change done.
Thanks!
k9roo,

A very good question. The owners manual states under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles or 12 months. Your Dodge Journey User Guide also provides details regarding the engine break-in period. A new engine may consume some oil in the first several thousand miles of operation.

Your change oil light will come on, however, the interval may change depending on your personal driving style. For more technical details, you may also speak with the service dept. at your dealer.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:52 PM
k9roo
Amateur
Default Thanks

Thanks all, I have been concerned since this is the break in oil. I guess the newer models can take more now than the older models. I just do not want to lock up or burn up my engine because I waited too long to have the oil changed especially the first change.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:55 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Switch to full synthetic and a long life oil filter on your next change. Some people will say changing it sooner than the indicator light says to is a waste of money. IMO, it's peace of mind to me.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:13 PM
jstmahoney
Captain

I've got a 2014 journey as well. I was nos sure either when to change the oil. After it hit 4,000 miles, and I think it was a little over 6 months old, the light came on. I called the dealer to make an appointment and they didn't say much about it so I'm just going with every 4k or 6 months unless the oil change indicator comes on. Hope this helps!

Old 11-26-2014, 06:59 AM
k9roo
Amateur

Thank you jstmahoney, I called a couple of dealers and they told me to wait for the light to come on. One of them told me to go by what the manual says and I told him it says to not go past 10,000 miles or one year. He said, oh you have the high mileage motor so just wait for the light to come on. It was bothering us to keep waiting plus it had got a quart low on oil which I hear is normal on the break in oil that we decided to just go ahead and have the oil changed. The light never came on and it was well over 5,000 miles plus we have had it for 8 months. The man at the dealership who changed the oil said they recommend changing it every 3 months or 3,000 miles because he said the oil gets thin and it's not good to go that long without changing it which is what we plan on doing.

Quick Reply: First oil change on 2014 Dodge Journey SXT Plus