Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Dodge Journey 2012 SXT 3.6 weird metallic noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 07:47 PM
rodrigo_prazeres
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Journey 2012 SXT 3.6 weird metallic noise

Hi guys.

My Dodge Journey started to make some weird metallic noise the other day. I don't understand much about cars and was hoping you may be able to shed some light based on what you hear (attached).

We moved house the other day - after coming and going with the car full of boxes, the noise started to happen one of the times after we unloaded.
The noise seems to come from the back wheel, but not sure of what side.

Trying to replicate - it's hard to explain, but I have to accelerate a bit, and then heading towards a round-about, I hit the break and start turning, then the noise happens. It does happen when just hitting the break after a certain speed and letting it go as well, without turning. I thought it only happened when hitting the break, but at one occasion I hit the break, no noise - after letting the break go and accelerating the noise started, gently tapping the break made it stop but accelerating made it happen again.

The noise goes faster when I am accelerating and disappears after a certain speed.

This started two days ago. As it was the weekend, couldn't find a Dodge dealer to have a look. Was going to take the car there today but today it hasn't happened.

Don't know if it fixed itself or if it may re-occur. I have attached what the noise is and hopefully you may be able to shed some light based on what you hear?

Here's the link: https://db.tt/jke06IBP

Thanks,

Rod

Old 10-12-2014, 10:13 PM
bigtsr
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may have a brake pad hanging up due to
the guide pins in the caliper being dirty/not lubricated.
If it speeds up as you do it will almost certainly be brake/wheel related.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:15 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Yes, please check your brakes.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:51 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rodrigo_prazeres
Hi guys.

My Dodge Journey started to make some weird metallic noise the other day. I don't understand much about cars and was hoping you may be able to shed some light based on what you hear (attached).

We moved house the other day - after coming and going with the car full of boxes, the noise started to happen one of the times after we unloaded.
The noise seems to come from the back wheel, but not sure of what side.

Trying to replicate - it's hard to explain, but I have to accelerate a bit, and then heading towards a round-about, I hit the break and start turning, then the noise happens. It does happen when just hitting the break after a certain speed and letting it go as well, without turning. I thought it only happened when hitting the break, but at one occasion I hit the break, no noise - after letting the break go and accelerating the noise started, gently tapping the break made it stop but accelerating made it happen again.

The noise goes faster when I am accelerating and disappears after a certain speed.

This started two days ago. As it was the weekend, couldn't find a Dodge dealer to have a look. Was going to take the car there today but today it hasn't happened.

Don't know if it fixed itself or if it may re-occur. I have attached what the noise is and hopefully you may be able to shed some light based on what you hear?

Here's the link: https://db.tt/jke06IBP

Thanks,

Rod
rodrigo_prazeres,

I'm sorry to learn of the recent noise issue you've experienced.

Duplication at the dealer is certainly a benefit to the diagnosis process. As @bigtsr and @jkeaton have stated, an inspection may reveal the root cause of your noise concern. Keep us posted on what your Dodge dealer finds if you can.

Quick Reply: Dodge Journey 2012 SXT 3.6 weird metallic noise