Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2010 Dodge journey no heat passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 03:00 PM
Human
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Dodge journey no heat passenger side

Hi everyone,I am pulling out my hair on this one.
I have a 2010 Dodge journey with single zone heating.I have no heat/defrost on passenger side.
All actuators are working properly from what I see.Does anyone know which door controls this side and how I can access it without taking the dash out.I am hoping on cutting a hole in the case to manually move this door.If not is there a diagram somewhere online showing the doors and the function of each.Any help would be greatly appreciated.(and make my wife very warm and cozy)
human.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:03 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Human
Hi everyone,I am pulling out my hair on this one.
I have a 2010 Dodge journey with single zone heating.I have no heat/defrost on passenger side.
All actuators are working properly from what I see.Does anyone know which door controls this side and how I can access it without taking the dash out.I am hoping on cutting a hole in the case to manually move this door.If not is there a diagram somewhere online showing the doors and the function of each.Any help would be greatly appreciated.(and make my wife very warm and cozy)
human.
Here is information from the Service Manual on the actuators. Hopefully this helps.

The blend door actuators (1) for the front heating-A/C system are reversible, 12-volt direct current (DC) servo motors. Models with the front single zone heating-A/C system have a single blend-air door, which is controlled by a single blend door actuator. The blend door actuator for the single zone heating-A/C system is located on the driver side front HVAC air distribution housing. The blend door actuators are contained within a black molded plastic housing with an integral wire connector receptacle (2). An output shaft with splines (3) connect the blend door actuators to the blend door linkage. Three integral mounting tabs (4) allow the actuators to be secured to the air distribution housing. The blend door actuators do not require mechanical indexing to the blend door linkage, as they are electronically calibrated by the A/C-heater control.
REMOVAL

WARNING:Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions may result in accidental airbag deployment and possible serious or fatal injury.

SINGLE ZONE/DUAL ZONE LEFT SIDE

1.Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable. 2.On RHD models, if equipped, remove the silencer from underneath the passenger side of the instrument panel. 3.On RHD models, remove the glove box bin(Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/GLOVE BOX, Instrument Panel - Removal) . 4.Disconnect the wire harness connector (1) from the blend door actuator (2) located on the left side of the HVAC air distribution housing (3). 5.Remove the two screws (4) that secure the blend door actuator to the air distribution housing and remove the actuator.

The mode door actuator (1) for the heating-A/C system is a reversible, 12-volt Direct Current (DC) servo motor, which is mechanically connected to the mode-air doors. The mode door actuator is located on the right side of the HVAC air distribution housing.
The mode door actuator is contained within a black molded plastic housing with an integral wire connector receptacle (2). An output shaft with splines (3) connect it to mode door linkage and integral mounting tabs (4) allow the actuator to be secured to the air distribution housing. The mode door actuator does not require mechanical indexing to the mode-air doors, as it is electronically calibrated by the A/C-heater control.
The A/C-heater control must be recalibrated each time an actuator motor is replaced (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/HVAC - Standard Procedure) .
The mode door actuator is interchangeable with the actuators for the recirculation and blend-air doors.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Human

Thanks for your reply.
I have seen this info before and I know because I have single zone heating,it is the blend door on the drivers side that is the problem,but the actuator seems to be going through the motions ok from a visual aspect so I believe it's an internal door problem.
I will first try to take the actuator off and see if I can manually move the shaft and see if that solves the problem.If not I may have to try cutting a small hole near the actuator to see inside.
If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears.
Regards.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:42 PM
hoyt66
Rookie

I have this issue on my wifes car. Any new developments here. Is it the actuator motor that need replacing? Thank you

Old 12-29-2014, 07:30 AM
Human

Hi thanks for your post,no I have not resolved the issues.
My wife won't let me cut holes in the HVAC casing and I refuse to spend between $1500 and $2000 for a mechanic to rip the dash apart.So I will live with this until I get rid of this piece of sh*# Journey which has extremely low resale value.My 15 year old Jeep grand cherokee is in better condition.LOL.But if anyone has a cheap solution,I'll try it.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:14 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Our 09 with almost 90000 miles on it got us $8500 on a trade in for the 2013 journey we replaced it with. Your low resale value has no merit. Good luck with your next vehicle.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:28 AM
Dafffy
Default Dodge Journey Heat problems

I also have a Journey with this problem, living in Canada with half a heater is not good for anyone in the passenger seat, PLEASE HELP

Old 11-13-2019, 11:41 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Dafffy
I also have a Journey with this problem, living in Canada with half a heater is not good for anyone in the passenger seat, PLEASE HELP
Start by flushing the heater core. Next is to inspect the blend doors.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:53 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dafffy
Hello Daffy,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your concern. Due to the nature of our team we are not able to assist international customers. However, I have provided a Canadian Customer care number below as they can potentially try to assist you further:
1-800-361-3700
Laura
DodgeCares

Old 11-14-2019, 01:20 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, I had read there may be sediment build up in the heater core. Unfortunately just flushing may not clear it out. Before you flush or tear apart for blend doors, you might try tapping (not hammering enough to bend or distort) on the lower core tube with a small dead blow hammer. This may loosen up sediment for you. It worked for me. I had dead cold on the passenger side. I didn't get it the same on both sides but it sure beat no heat at all!

BTW, There is a youtube video or web page out there that shows how one can change the core without pulling the dash all apart. It does involve splicing the core tubes with hose and clamps unfortunately.

Quick Reply: 2010 Dodge journey no heat passenger side