Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Leak under car

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Bamabrat
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak under car

I've searched and searched and tried to find a Haynes Manual for our 2012 Journey SXT. It wasn't until I looked on this forum until I realized that a physical book could not be bought for it, which as many of you stated, sucks. I'm old school and like to have a physical book to look at while I'm working. HOwever, i'm getting used to just printing the pdf section / chapter that I need for the specific job.

If anyone has the 2012 service manual, please let me know how I can get a copy. I have a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.2L 2wd), but the Journey is my wife's. This past weekend I found 2 issues when doing my inspection. 1) she needs new rear brakes, but from reading in the DIY section, I have to have a special tool just to change the rear brakes??? Where do I get that? 2) she has a leak on the underside of her car, on the driver's side. Since I don't have a manual, I don't even know what part this is. Can someone inform me what this is, and what I most likely need to do? From being up close, it appears to be a blown gasket, but I wanted a little more info before I start removing bolts.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Bamabrat; 01-06-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:27 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Yes, rear brake caliper pistons must be turned when pushing in. Pretty much all vehicles with rear disks are that way. You can rent a brake tool set from your local auto parts store, or, if your like me with multiple vehicles and you do your own brakes, buy a brake kit. You can get them pretty cheap or pretty expensive. Depending how much you want to spend. I think I got mine off amaxon for like $30 and it has adapters for just about all makes and models (cause they are all different, even though it's the same method to turn and push the pistons back in).

As far as the leak goes, could be a leaky transmission or gasket or coming from higher up, meaning an intake manifold gasket or something on the top/side of the engine. If the substance is just around the pan and not higher up on the engine, it's probably transmission pan. Also check the inboard CV just behind the transmission pan, you might have busted a boot and it's flinging grease on it and running down the side of the pan. I'd clean it up as best I could then just start watching where it might be coming from to pinpoint the exact location.

Last edited by jkeaton; 11-25-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Leak under car