Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2009 Journey SXT shudder on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 01:12 PM
ddbutton1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Journey SXT shudder on acceleration

2009 Dodge Journey SXT, 3.5L V6, 6 speed transmission, FWD only, 132,000 miles.
Starting around 120,000 miles it developed an intermittent shudder/vibration under acceleration. It is not at the same frequency as the engine RPM, so I am assuming in the drivetrain. It is extremely noticeable when making a sharp right turn and accelerating, sometimes. The weird thing is that everything seems normal most of the time. At highway speed in a relatively straight run, even a curvy road it acts normal. However, there are times right after exiting a freeway onto a city street or another road, the shudder/vibration will appear, then after a couple of miles without any major right or left turns, it smooths out.
Just completed a 3,500 mile trip trough all kinds of traffic and weather conditions with intermittent issues of shudder, but never let us down on the road.
Because the issue seems more severe with turns, since that is when the differential gets worked the hardest, I am suspecting that is the root of the issue.
I know this is not as descriptive as what we experience while driving, but maybe someone else out there recognizes similar symptoms.
At 90,000 miles I had the transmission flushed by a Dodge dealer and since have added Lucas transmission additive. I assume since the differential is in the same housing, it is bathed with the same fluid as the tranny.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Quick Reply: 2009 Journey SXT shudder on acceleration