Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Improving the fuel consumption on a 2010 2.7 V6

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 06:42 AM
BrandonSA01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improving the fuel consumption on a 2010 2.7 V6

I am a proud owner of a 2010 Dodge Journey. Bought the car in March of last year due to the birth of my twins.

Always been a true Dodge fan and finally got the chance to get one.
When I was looking for one I did all the correct things for a second hand car. Who owned it, why they sold it and has it been maintained and is it got too much mileage!
All checked out.

So we bought it.
Now not knowing any better I was under the impression that my average fuel consumption of 12.7 L-100 Km was good with mostly highway driving. Now I had a problem with the car cutting out on start into drive so we did many things to try fix it. Nothing had worked so I was open to anything, then a family member suggested I removed the Catalitic converter because it must be blocked.
Now not taking a chance I found some expect advice and got a yes from the guys at the aftermarket performance shops , obviously , take it out but remember the sound will change, when asked by how much, all I was told is my car will have a tin like sound.

Now I really like how quite my V6 is on cruising and the sound it makes at a high rev so I was not happy with the idea of messing it up.
Fortunately I know the service manager at my local dodge garage and I call and had a chat.
He agreed with what I was told and then suggested I do a Catalitic rejuvenation program by the garage.
They run the engine hard with the computers blocked out so not to damage them. As well as a few other things. There was no cost, is it because I know him or that is just how it is, I don't know. But it seemed to help.

My car came back with more life, almost as if I had done an upgrade to something. And then came my added bonus. My consumption came down. Now from 12.7 L to 10.3 L/100 Km on average. Sometimes as little as 9.5 L-100 on the highway only. Now to me that is just so much better and all from cleaning the cats.

So my suggestion to everyone with a car with a slightly high mileage a consumption, talk to your dealer and many consider getting it done.

I drive a 2010 Dodge Journey 2.7 V6 RT FWD.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:48 PM
BrandonSA01

If anyone has found other ways to improving their fuel consumption and power, please do share. open for anything that you have found to work.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:09 AM
Journey_SeXT

Keeping up with the car maintenance usually does the trick for me. I like to have my Journey on a steady diet of full synthetic oil (changed every 5,000 miles), a bottle of fuel system cleaner (Chevron Techron is an excellent product) after every oil change and fill up only at Top Tier Gas stations ( Top Tier Retailers ) usually keeps things clean. Also replace the engine air filter when dirty (replace according to owners manual) is a good idea too along with the usual tips that you find all over the net:

Fuel economy tips

Old 01-31-2015, 12:32 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

This^^. And a light right foot.

Quick Reply: Improving the fuel consumption on a 2010 2.7 V6