Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

catalytic converter 09 dodge jounery

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:25 PM
B-2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy catalytic converter 09 dodge jounery

Has any one had to replace the catalytic converter on the 3.5 if I am right it has 1 on each bank. I am not having a check engine light but it has a lot lesspower & it knocks when you excelerate. So I checked the exhast & it has almost nothing coming out of the exhast at a idle even if you give it some throtle almost nothing & the rpm's come up slow. The engine does not get hot even on a long trip we took it to Austin last weekend for the Lone Star Roundup. It has a lot less power than it us to it has 123K miles on it I have changed the timing belt & water pump I am hoping someone had changed the cat with a after market one so I would not have to get the oem ones as they are costly.
Thanks Bill

Old 04-21-2015, 08:11 AM
bigtsr
Captain

Originally Posted by B-2
Has any one had to replace the catalytic converter on the 3.5 if I am right it has 1 on each bank. I am not having a check engine light but it has a lot lesspower & it knocks when you excelerate. So I checked the exhast & it has almost nothing coming out of the exhast at a idle even if you give it some throtle almost nothing & the rpm's come up slow. The engine does not get hot even on a long trip we took it to Austin last weekend for the Lone Star Roundup. It has a lot less power than it us to it has 123K miles on it I have changed the timing belt & water pump I am hoping someone had changed the cat with a after market one so I would not have to get the oem ones as they are costly.
Thanks Bill
Have you checked it for codes?

Old 04-21-2015, 12:13 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

What is the check engine code?

Old 04-21-2015, 07:41 PM
B-2

Thats it the check engine light has not come on.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:12 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Never heard of a cat going bad on these cars. Emissions stuff is covered by a separate warranty. Might get it to a dealer a have it checked.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:05 PM
B-2

Thanks I will have it checked at a dealer & let everyone know what it is.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:48 PM
B-2

The check engine light come on when the Wife was coming home from work tonight. So I had it checked at AutoZone & the only code that came up was PO452 a Fuel Tank pressure sensor. It smelled like something was burnt but the temp gague read normal & nothing seems to be to hot under the hood. I am going to put it in my shop tomorrow & pull the exhaust apart behind the cats & see if there is any flow there. It has 125K miles on it so the warrenty is no good at least thats what they told me when I called a dealer. Every thing seems to be bad cats but it seems to me that the emission system light should be on if that was the case. I hate working on this new stuff I guess I need to find a older car for her to drive HA!!HA!! like that is going to happen. I drive a 1978 F-150 that I have redone & never seem to have any problems go figure.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:50 AM
B-2

After checking around the Jounery has this problem a lot & a leaking head gasket goes with it also. I am going to try & do it myself as it overheated on the Wife, she pulled into the first gas station & shut it down lucky for me. I took some water with me & after it cooled down I filled it back up, & it was no time before it started blowing exuast into the fill tank. So I guess I will have to try & put new head gaskets & Cats at the same time. I like working on my old stuff but this new stuff is no fun to work on to many things to take off. I just hope I do not have to take off the front of the engine to remove the heads, it looks like the rest will not be that bad. I'll post some pic,s if I can figure out how to.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:34 PM
B-2

Has any one done the head gaskets on the jounery, I am wondering if it can be done with out pulling the engine. The dealer told me the cam had to be removed before the heads came off, so I'm not sure it will come out with out pulling the engine.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:26 AM
B-2

I have finally got the cats changed but it was a lot of work & if any one wants to try it be prepared to lose about a gal of blood & a pound of skin. As for the head gasket I finally tried something called Steel Seal to fix the leak so far it has worked but I made a short in the wiring somewere & it cost me $300 to get that fixed. And after I got it home it sit for awhile & I seen water dripping & found out the y-fitting is leaking & not even Rockauto has the parts you have to get them from Dodge. So I am going to try & figure out some thing else to fix it with. I will post if I figure out how to replace it with some kind of fitting.

Quick Reply: catalytic converter 09 dodge jounery