Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2010 Journey AC question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 09:08 PM
Anne Cassidy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2010 Journey AC question

Is the AC compressor clutch supposed to turn all the time? I have a noise and don't know if it's an alternator barring (it's putting out plenty of power) or the fact that compressor clutch is engaged all the time. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-14-2015, 07:56 AM
bigtsr
Captain

Welcome to the forum.

Turn off AC/Defrost then the compressor drive
should be off.Do you still have the noise?

The alternators have built in clutch as well and
they are known to make a noise a bit like a diesel when failing.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:05 PM
Anne Cassidy

Thank you.
The noise is there with AC on or off. I do know the AC compressor clutch turns whether the AC is on or off, I just don't know if it should and that's what the problem is. There is variable times when the AC doesn't blow cold (just warmer) but only for a few minutes if it's very hot or stop and go traffic) then it cools again. The temperature gauge has NEVER gotten above normal.
I have been told by a transmission mechanic that when the belt is not on, the noise is not made (because the Alternator doesn't turn when the belt is not on?) He thought it originally was the pulleys so we replaced them and when it still made the noise we took it back to have him re-assess.
We are now at a lose as to it being the AC compressor because it turns all the time and shouldn't or something internally with the Alternator. If I can find out if the compressor clutch should turn all the time, that would help us narrow it done a little more.

Quick Reply: 2010 Journey AC question