Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

aftermarket back up camera

Old 01-21-2017, 12:37 PM
jwatson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket back up camera

What is the color of the reverse light wire

Old 01-22-2017, 09:42 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Yellow

Old 04-27-2017, 12:28 PM
Wayne Powers

I bought a wired backup system then when I saw the backup lights were in the tail gate I bought a wireless tx/rx to bypass running the cable . When it warms up I am going to install it and use the clipon mirror display, I want to run the mirror cable to the overhead consul. Up there I can install the RX and can anyone tell me if there is a 12Volt connection up there that I can tap into?

Old 06-08-2017, 02:31 PM
Wayne Powers
Default went wireless

Originally Posted by Wayne Powers
I bought a wired backup system then when I saw the backup lights were in the tail gate I bought a wireless tx/rx to bypass running the cable . When it warms up I am going to install it and use the clipon mirror display, I want to run the mirror cable to the overhead consul. Up there I can install the RX and can anyone tell me if there is a 12Volt connection up there that I can tap into?

So I bought the wireless TX & RX the camera was a snap. At first I have a rear view snap on mirror monitor but the wife said it made things fuzzy so I ordered a 5" monitor. But I took the mirror monitor apart and it had a thin 5" monitor and a 3 button control board, hmm I trident it with a video signal and it was pretty good. Then she started on about that over head consol and how it was hanging down again. I checked yhe size and that monitor would fit. I beetle over to the salvage yard and bought a complete overhead consol and took it apart, I had to drill 3 1/8 " holes for the control buttons a 3/4 from the power and video cables see photo. Now is that red wire to the lamp 12 volt?? Cause if it is I can wire the poem to the RX and monitor.
it is just a mockup right now, because she is away with the car. That sunglass holder is down so I will see if it is acceptable to her.
OK update I hooked it up and the power wire from the monitor to the white 12v wire, it works fine when I put it in reverse but once out of reverse the screen flashes intermittently I pulled the unit out and plugged in a 12v battery and not flashing, so I will have to find another 12 volt source or check the

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Wayne Powers; 06-09-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:39 PM
Wayne Powers
Default aftermarket monitor flashing

Ok I found the problem and the solution. The system works but once you shift out of reverse the monitor flashes steadily. The problem is it is a 2.4 GHZ system and lots of other things use that frequency, the wireless receiver turns on the camera when it senses a signal any for you radio guys, there is no squelch control.
So the solution, run a 12 volt per line to the receiver from the reverse light light. Now the receiver only gets power when you go to reverse. If you look at the top of the open tailgate there is a cable housing, pry off the cabin side and you will find the white with green stripe backup power wire. It isn't to hard to run a wire from the back to the overhead consul and the receiver. The solves the problem and you only have to remove one torqued screw enclosed are the pics

Attached Thumbnails aftermarket back up camera-20170712_130446.jpg   aftermarket back up camera-20170712_132636.jpg   aftermarket back up camera-20170712_132706.jpg   aftermarket back up camera-20170712_133033.jpg   aftermarket back up camera-20170712_133451.jpg  

aftermarket back up camera-20170712_152442.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: aftermarket back up camera