Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Radiator fan only works on high speed at 230F

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 01:50 PM
30BR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fan only works on high speed at 230F

I noticed that my radiator fan behavior seems a little odd. It took some front end damage from a deer strike last fall, which was repaired at the dealer, and now that it has started to warm up I noticed the radiator fan does not turn on when the AC is switched on. I don't know if it's supposed to as I never paid attention to it before.

It only operates at high speed when the engine temperature hits 230F and shuts off when it reaches about 215F. It's my understanding that the fan should always come on when the AC is engaged, and the low speed should come on at a lower engine temperature than the high speed.

I have already replaced the thermostat as I got a P0128 code. It appears to be working normally now. I also replaced the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor while I was at it.

This car has high and low speed fan relays in the fusebox, which are identical. I swapped them but the behavior remains the same. but I did notice the radiator fan resistor is in a location where it might have been impacted by the radiator when I hit the deer. I pulled it out and inspected it, there are slight cracks in the green ceramic insulator, but small enough that I could see this being normal. It is possible that this was overlooked when the damage was repaired. Can a faulty radiator fan resistor cause this behavior? Can anyone with knowledge or a service manual confirm that this behavior is abnormal?

Thanks.

**Correction, when the AC is engaged, the High speed fan comes on starting at about 205F and will run for only 2 seconds, and then stop for a minute or so and then run for 2 seconds again repeatedly until 230F is reached when it comes on full.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:02 PM
30BR

Thinking about it more, I figure there's probably something wrong with the resistor. being a variable resistor dependent on temperature, if it was faulty it makes sense that the fan would only run on high speed.

I dont suppose I could get someone to pull theirs and measure the resistance?

Old 05-19-2017, 10:28 AM
30BR

Can anyone just tell me if the behavior I am seeing in normal or abnormal before I shell out 50$ on a resistor? Thanks.