Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Electronic Throttle Control

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:51 PM
chachelia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Throttle Control

So I left the car sitting for 8 days while sick and now it won't start. It's not the battery, it just won't turn over, and the ETC light stays on as I try to start the car. Does anyone know how to fix this without me having to get this car towed to the dealership??

Old 11-22-2007, 04:50 AM
Magmania
Veteran
Default RE: Electronic Throttle Control

I had a similar situation not too long ago. It would'nt turn over, just click and that was it.
It turned out to be my key fob battery was low.
I was advised that the fob battery might be the culprit butI was able to lock and unlock my doors
so I did'nt take much stock in the advise.
I was later told the the key goes through some sort of electronic verification when placed into the ignition.

I replaced the battery in both keys and have never had the problem since.
Maybe give that a go.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:22 AM
goldsmi

You don't say what year your vehicle is, but for my '05 RT the battery in the fob powers the transmitter for the keyless entry system - it has nothing to do with the start/ignition system.

In addition to the 2 dealer provided keys (with transmitters), I have a plain, gray, no-battery key (still has a chip in it) that I got on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...spagenameZWDVW

that I use as a backup. It starts the car just fine.

AL

Old 11-23-2007, 04:34 AM
Magmania
Veteran

ORIGINAL: goldsmi
You don't say what year your vehicle is, but for my '05 RT the battery in the fob powers the transmitter for the keyless entry system - it has nothing to do with the start/ignition system.
In addition to the 2 dealer provided keys (with transmitters), I have a plain, gray, no-battery key (still has a chip in it) that I got on eBay
that I use as a backup. It starts the car just fine.
AL
I am just going off of what others have told me.
I did replace my battery and never had the problem again. Must have been a coincedence.
According to the posted statement below, there is no battery required for the engine start.
My apologizes. Was'nt intentionally trying to pass misinformation.

Check out this thread (post #10 specifically).
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=51790

It's not allowing the reference to the other forum thread.
Here is thepasted text from thepost.

I'm getting that now Pete:

From the fnky archives:
There are two seperate systems at work here, VTSS (Vehicle Theft Security System/factory alarm) and SKIS (Sentry Key Immobilizer System). the batteries are only used for the transmission of a radio wave signal to disable VTSS (Vehicle Theft Security System/factory alarm).

there is a transponder inside the key which gets excited when in close proximity to the SKREEM/WCM (Sentry Key Remote Entry Electronic Module/Wireless Control Module) antenna (halo ring around ignition key hole). once excited, the key transponder transmits a secret key code to the SKREEM/WCM. this works the same way as MOBIL Speedpass, no batteries required. the SKREEM/WCM will then transmit this secret key code information to the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) to allow engine operation.

if, for any reason (read broken battery clip), the key fob fails to transmit a VTSS signal to the SKREEM, the result will be RKE (Remote Keyless Entry) inoperation and, when opening the driver's door using the key lock cylinder, activation of the VTSS alarm. however, the VTSS alarm can still be disarmed by turning the ignition key on. by doing this (key on), the SKREEM/WCM signal (Sentry Key portion) will disable the VTSS alarm. you may also get a "low battery" warning in EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information Center).

if, however, the SKIS transponder in the key fails to transmit a valid secret key code to the SKREEM/WCM, the result will be a start/stall condition accompanied by a flashing red dot in the instrument cluster. after repeated attempts, the engine starter will be disabled until the PCM receives a valid key signal from the SKREEM/WCM.
[/align]

Old 11-23-2007, 06:17 PM
chachelia

That's a lot of info! Thanks. I had a guy from the dealership suggest it could be the battery in the key too. I tried the second key and that didn't start the car either. Is it possible for both keys to die at the same time? I really want to avoid a tow at all costs and save some money. So is it possible for me to take the keys to the dealership and have them checked out to see if it is this battery thing, or is the battery something I can buy myself somewhere? btw, it's a 2005 Dodge Magnum (hemi).

Old 11-24-2007, 02:35 AM
Magmania
Veteran

Yeah, it's a very common waffer type battery.
I think it's something like a CR3032 maybe. Just pop open one of your keysand take look at the existing one. It will have a number on it and you can pretty much find them at most battery stands at the safeway and for sure at Radio Shack.

It would probably be unlikely that they are both dead but not necesarily out of the question.
If they are the originals it won't hurt to change them. I would do one at a time tho, just to ensure you have a working one (just incase).

Old 11-25-2007, 07:38 PM
chachelia

Ok, so I bought the battery and still no luck!! This really blows. We are trying to avoid the tow and service fees at all costs, but if there is nothing else I can do myself, I will just suck it up. But any additional advice is welcomed and appreciated!!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:24 PM
nyinstaller

ok as it may or may not be listed above the chip in the key works on its own power field . battery has no effect.

no wof the car not starting i would try to reset the car. via remove battery for about 1o mins or so than retry also it may be funny but the no maitenace batteries that dodge use are not very kind to sitting around so if you would also try to put the car on a boost. or charger.

the battery might have lost its amps and it might have power(volts) but not strong enough to turn the car over. remember you have a big engine it takes a lot. especially since the battery is located in the back of the car.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:32 PM
onephatcracka
Rookie

deffinately not the key battery. the keyless entry (fab) has nothing to do with security in the vehicle (keeping it from starting). You might have a slight draw on the battery when it sits for a longer period of time then normal. The reason the ETC light comes on is because you don't have 12v to the ETC. which could be low batt voltage. try to jump it. (battery in the trunk). I've already seen an internal short in the radio causeing the battery to die.

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control