Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Magnum steering stiff in cold weather

Old 11-30-2007, 12:11 AM
davwall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum steering stiff in cold weather

I have noticed during the recent cold weather (Toronto) that when it's cold outside the steering has become very stiff...slightly becomes easier once warmed up, but this is the first car i have noticed a definate decrease in ease of steering.

Mine is a 2006 R/T.

Has anyone else had this issue? Could this be a result of my new tie rod ends being replaced under warranty?

Old 11-30-2007, 10:28 AM
goldsmi
Default RE: Magnum steering stiff in cold weather

A known problem.
It's the steering shaft boot.
There is a TSB - check with your dealer

Component Description:
21.STEERING

Bulletin Number:

Bulletin Date:
MAR 2005

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Magnum

Summary:
VARIABLE STEERING EFFORT IN COLD TEMPERATURES. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10013706 )

Old 12-08-2007, 01:00 PM
46FD04
Rookie

I have an '07 SXT and the steering was awful the other day in -10'C weather. I live in Toronto too, and I find it funny thata car made in Canada would have such a problem.

Next time it's in the shop, I'll mention the TSB. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:17 AM
weitekampt

I just had my magnum in for trans leak, and asked them if any bulletins were out. They said no. HUH!!! I have the same steering problem so sounds like I need to make the appointment. Thanks for the info!

I love the car, but I have never had so many small yet stupid issues that require me to take the car to the dealership! Gets frustrating.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:54 PM
davwall

Funny how dealers just pass things off..i took mine in..everything fine no problems and topped up the steering fluid!!!!! think i may just go back and give them tsb number. they should give us discounts for finding out their tsb's!
great car i agree but having the stiff steering is a pain..well if something happens it will be covered...

got stuck 3 times during our last little snow storm..new Goodyear Assurances.....they are terrible in the snow..may have to look at pure snow tires. Any suggestions?

Old 01-08-2008, 04:38 PM
JH Magnum

Hey davwall,

Michelin Lattitude X-Ice great in snow and ice, I live in Ottawa in December when we got a foot and half of snow and I went through it no probelm.

JH

Old 01-10-2008, 05:06 PM
46FD04
Rookie

Davwall - see my thread regarding Magnum Snow tires. Some good info Ilearned while attempting to put snows on the Magnum.

Iinstalled Michelin Latitude X-Ice tires. They are FANTASTIC.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:07 PM
ocps9823

I had this same problem.

I took the car in to the Dealer and quoted the service bulliten to the Service Guy.

He was skeptical.

I go the car back and all was good. The steering is now the same in the warm and extreme cold. The same can not be said about the driver.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:05 PM
davwall

well went to the dealer and they replaced the steering pump. it is considerably better than before. still not as fluid as a 300 but much improved.

on a side note.....amazing winter tires....toyo G02 plus. very very good with traction control. was out in the major winter storm that toronto got recently and was doing better than most 4x4 vehicles on the road. highly recommened!!!!

Old 03-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Jim Todd
Default Fixed the hard cold steering at great expense.

At 50,000k miles when I bought it the car would have stiff steering when in cold weather. At 117,000 it was dangerous. My mechanic started with a new rack. Better but not great. Then new pump. Then new boot. He also said that the ball joints were worn so those were replaced as well. After $3500 it's not one finger steering but it might not have ever been. I had previously gotten new brakes, shocks, struts, and springs so it's like driving a new car. With a hemi, leather, and sunroof it's a pretty cool machine so I guess it's worth it. Other wise, I would have waited til summer and sold it. Something new like this would be close to $40,000. JT

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Magnum steering stiff in cold weather