Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Question about the Magnum's snow driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:07 AM
bbfd86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Driving

I have a 2005 R/T AWD with four Continental V-rated snow tires. I live in Rochester, NY and drive in a lot of lake effect snow. I also drive to VT several times each winter to ski. The Magnum AWD is unstoppable in the snow! It handles extremely well and can go anywhere. I bought it to replace a 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon with FWD. I loved the Saab, but wanted AWD and a lot of power and acceleration. The Magnum doesn't disappoint!

Old 08-31-2008, 11:19 PM
Mag Dad

I have the 05 R/T rear wheel drive since new and bought Toyo ice tires right off the bat for winters. Living on the West Coast when it does snow it ices up as a rule which is more of the concern than is the snow itself. Also, the hills can be brutal when icy. The very first season with these tires I had conditions less than ideal several times where most people freaked out and might as well have driven a horse and carriage for how slow they drove. Anyway I had zero traction problems including whizzing up some fairly steep hills. Get the right tires for the conditions and you should be fine.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:56 PM
IchabodSXT

I have a 2005 SXT RWD and during the winter I use Contiental's 4x4 WinterContact tires in the 17" factory wheels.

I've not experienced problems so far in the three winters that I've had the Magnum. It's a joy to drive in dry, wet, snowy conditions. I live in Joysey and travel up and down the NY Thruway to points north. Like others have said, you just need to get the right snow tires for your area and you'll be set.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:52 AM
japhy
Angry avoid magnum in snow

i have a 05 magnum. it is the worst car ever in the snow. You can not get over a speed bump with 1 inch of snow. weight in the back or not this car can't climb the slightest hill in snow... it is a worthless sh#tbox. Sure in the summer it can get up to 90mph on a dry road, but when you need it to perform on a snowy night you are screwed. I wish i could support usa car makers but this car sucks! i regret buying it... it is crap avoid at all costs. I hope dodge goes under too. Magnum sucks!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:25 AM
plumcrazy73
Captain

japhy go by a toyota they accelerate great. sorry but seriously half of driving in the snow is the driver and tires. a good driver and good tires and a little weight (if it is RWD) is all you need

Old 02-22-2010, 03:53 PM
japhy
Default studded tires

Plumcrazy- That is funny about the Toyota…especially since I could not get up the very slight snowy entrance of a parking garage, while an older Toyota Tercel passed to enter with no problem what-so-ever. The all season tires from dealer were awful for snow. Since post, I bought a 50lb bag of road salt that I threw in the back of the car and a set of firestone winterforce studded tires. Car drives a little better in the snow.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 PM
jg00

It's all about the tires and your right foot. I have an '05 Magnum RT, and went through the first winter after I bought it new without issues (fresh tires). The 2nd winter on the factory tires was a no-go. I bought a set of Blizzaks, and mounted them on my factory 18" wheels. I have since come to the conlusion that i'll NEVER go back to front drive - unless forced. The car is awesome in the snow, and is far easier to control around corners than the many fwd cars i've driven in years past. I go through 10" of snow in my Magnum w/o issue.

FWD sucks for handling in the snow! If you lose traction, you can't steer.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 AM
John Codman
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

japhy, Blame the tires, not the car. Our 2WD Magnum RT would not get out of our nearly-flat driveway with 2" of snow on the ground with the horrible Continentals that it came with. I bought a set of 4 Dunlop snow tires from The Tire Rack, and the car is now fabulous in snow. I can't see why anyone would need a 4 WD. BTW: I'm not Po'd at Chrysler about the tires because the salesman told me that the Continentals were bad, but at the time (August 2004), Continental was the only supplier of a tire in that size. He said it fit only the Magnum and one model of Porsche.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:07 PM
xkeots
Wink

I have a 2006 AWD and the winter of 09-10 in New York was terrible and I drove through snow like my wife's Jeep! I just don't have the same ground clearance.

Jack
2006 AWD Magnum

Old 11-07-2013, 11:08 PM
A muise

Originally Posted by 46FD04
My wife has a 2007 Magnum SXT (3.5L engine). We live in Toronto, Ontario. Got the car in Sept 2007. LOTS of snow fell this past season. The original 18" tires were AWFUL. Decided to spend the $ on snow tires, and it was $ well spent.

I discovered that you can install 17" snow tires (much cheaper and easier to obtain), as long as you get the correct rims. The first set of rims I was given rubbed against the front brake calipers. Had to return them for the correct rims.

The tire shop was excellent. They did not charge me for the 2nd install, seeing that they got me the wrong rims to begin with.

We purchased Michelin X-Ice tires. They are unbelievable. You can stop in a foot of snow (12" or 30cm.), and get movong agaiin without any wheel slippage. We don't put any extra weight in the back either.

These are phenomonal tires, well worth the $.

FORGOT TO MENTION - with the 17" rims, a new set of lug nuts was required. The factory lugs do not fit the 18" aluminum rim, they are too big to fit in the holes.
I have 20's on my sxt and was wondering what rims I need to put smaller tires for winter??

Quick Reply: Question about the Magnum's snow driving