Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Question about the Magnum's snow driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:15 AM
henryk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the Magnum's snow driving

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a car to buy for quite some time now and since I need a roomier car the Dodge Magnum has caught my eye in a lot of ways. But I have heard and read some stuff about the Dodge Magnum performing very poorly in snowy conditions. I wanted to know whether that is true with the 2007 models as well since that's the year I'm probably gonna get (not buying a new one)? If it is then that's no biggy I'll just try out the Dodge Nitro instead

Thanks

Henry

Old 07-29-2008, 07:51 PM
james scott
Default RE: Question about the Magnum's snow driving

Like most rear wheel drive cars, its terrible! However, I did make it through one of the worst Canadian winters in recent memory WITHOUT snow tires, believe it or not. Now, having said that, there were a few times that I had to leave it parked in the driveway because I knew it wouldnt make it out of the driveway. Next time around I will be investing in a good set of snow tires.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:45 PM
ocps9823

I drove a RT through last winter in Canada, and found it to be not too bad. I have drive much worse in the snow.

A couple of times I found I was plowing deep snow with the front end, but no problems.

I had a good set of all seasons and some weight in the trunk.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:50 PM
hambone1983

HenryK, Buy and AWD magnum - I've heard good reviews about them and with the right all season tires you will be really satisfied.
I just got an AWD mag, RT and its great so far. Looking forward to the winter to test it out myself.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:30 PM
06magnum

I have a 2006 RT AWD but i live in florida so my insight probably wont help much... but it gets out of the hole like no ones business heh.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:38 AM
sask_cruiser
Rookie

i had the ****ty continentals on my r/t during the winter and it was terrible. i only got stuck twice tho but thats because both times i had to go really slow into deep snow. i found if you could plow through deep snow it went not bad. i just didn't have $00-$450 a tire for snow tires

Old 08-05-2008, 02:35 PM
smithbro
Default Great AWD

I own a 2005 AWD in the mountains of NC. I have had absolutley no problems with it getting me out of tight, slippery spots. It has even saved my butt from the bottom of a 10 foot bank I slid off that was covered with wet, frozen grass (I was backing up with the windows fogged up and ice on the rear views, even on a good day it would have been difficult). I thought I would have to call a wrecker but I kept going back and forth and it was truly remarkable how the ESP worked.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:48 AM
dsavy86

I'm in St. Louis and have a 2005 RWD that has not had issues in the snow. The Continentals are TERRIBLE ALL AROUND, which is why I went to Nexens. They have been great and are not as costly as the other junk. Must have been some German under the table agreement on those. The brake/throttle technology on the Magnums keep it pretty straight in the snow. Selling mine as well, if you are close. Hate to, but have to.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:23 PM
46FD04
Rookie

My wife has a 2007 Magnum SXT (3.5L engine). We live in Toronto, Ontario. Got the car in Sept 2007. LOTS of snow fell this past season. The original 18" tires were AWFUL. Decided to spend the $ on snow tires, and it was $ well spent.

I discovered that you can install 17" snow tires (much cheaper and easier to obtain), as long as you get the correct rims. The first set of rims I was given rubbed against the front brake calipers. Had to return them for the correct rims.

The tire shop was excellent. They did not charge me for the 2nd install, seeing that they got me the wrong rims to begin with.

We purchased Michelin X-Ice tires. They are unbelievable. You can stop in a foot of snow (12" or 30cm.), and get movong agaiin without any wheel slippage. We don't put any extra weight in the back either.

These are phenomonal tires, well worth the $.

FORGOT TO MENTION - with the 17" rims, a new set of lug nuts was required. The factory lugs do not fit the 18" aluminum rim, they are too big to fit in the holes.

Last edited by 46FD04; 10-15-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 PM
god_complx
Professional

living in calgary we dont get a ton of snow, but we do get it, and alot of ice. Having driven rear wheel sports cars my whole life, jumping into an rt was not difficult. If you have any experience winter driving in any rear wheel drive you should be fine. Last year, I replaced the contis with some toyo winter tires, and I usually ended up wondering y everyone else was having such difficulties. They do make a huge difference, so much so that u never really realize how bad the roads may be.

Quick Reply: Question about the Magnum's snow driving