Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Just purchased a 2007 dodge magnum sxt...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:24 PM
v'thomas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

called dodge corp. they said my problem even with warranty. in philly any body now if i can repair self

Old 06-05-2012, 05:32 PM
ERICG1

Any updates on this? I have crappy gas mileage ( 13 MPG ) and P1004 code for months now, reset CEL only to have it come right back. Sprayed inside plenum with carb cleaner, no change, 2008 Magnum SXT 3.5. Any help please ?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you need a intake plenum and a PCM flash update. there is TSB on this one. spraying cleaner into the intake would not do anything, the problem the shaft inside the plenum that get seize up or breaks off.
regarding the fuel economy, the plenum should affect fuel economy THAT much.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:48 AM
ERICG1

Thanks Steak! Where is the best( cheapest) place to buy the plenum? How in depth is the installation? Have tools and engine rebuild experience. Thanks in advance. Eric

Old 06-06-2012, 03:42 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

just google Dodge OEM parts, plenty of OEM dealers online, and pick the cheapest one. most of the time they have phone number for you to call, better to order thru phone and provide your 18 digit VIN number to make sure you get the right one. it will be few hundred dollars.

also, order a EGR tube gasket/seal that is between the EGR tube and the intake. They tend to rip when u take it out. and put a little bit of grease on installation.

regarding replacing it, all you really need is some general ratchet, extension, sockets, and wrench. probably ranger from 7mm - 15mm.

there is 2 bolts here to the passenger side

like 8 small bolts on top of the intake manifold, and disconnect all your vacuum lines and connector to replace it.

the trick is, if you can't wiggle it out, you might have to lift up the bar #6, bolted down on both end with some 13 or 15 mm bolt.

the other thing that might be in your way is the the ATF dipstick tube. you might have to SLIGHTLY bent it out of the way.

after you take it out, make sure you cover the Holes on top of the engine with towels or something, the last thing you want to do is drop something into the engine accidentally.

before you install it, look UNDER the new intake manifold, make sure all the Rubber ring seals at in place first.

good luck! it is fairly straight forward, should take you no longer than 1-2 hrs.

and you HAVE to do the software update on the PCM. call your dealership. If they want more than what you pay for, offer them $50, because there is a dealership farther away that would do it for this price which you do not want to drive to. At least that's the price our dealership charges.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:32 PM
cmvanguard
Default thank you Steak!

Wow, I think you have exactly identified my problem!

But... I don't understand... why isn't this a recall?

I have a 2006 Magnum and the CEL is preventing me from passing smog.

I have had no other symptoms, other than CEL and don't understand how I will benefit from this repair, other than passing smog. My quote from a trusted mechanic was $2200!

Thank you!

Old 06-15-2012, 08:16 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cmvanguard
Wow, I think you have exactly identified my problem!

But... I don't understand... why isn't this a recall?

I have a 2006 Magnum and the CEL is preventing me from passing smog.

I have had no other symptoms, other than CEL and don't understand how I will benefit from this repair, other than passing smog. My quote from a trusted mechanic was $2200!

Thank you!
How on earth does that repair cost $2200?
the intake manifold itself Listed price is $509, and repair is 2 hours top! including PCM update.
So much for trusted mechanic.

make sure you refer to TSB 18-003-07!!
part number for intake manifold should be 4591863AJ, but double check with your dealer and the TSB.

regarding recall, no manufacturer recalls things like failed part that doesn't jeopardize safety. It is what extended waranty is for. Sorry to tell you.

Last edited by steak59; 06-15-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:06 PM
cmvanguard
Default happy ending

good news, I took it to the dealership, and my car had a lifetime powertrain warranty. so the entire repair was covered - just paid the $100 deductible.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 PM
georgiaresident

Originally Posted by cmvanguard
good news, I took it to the dealership, and my car had a lifetime powertrain warranty. so the entire repair was covered - just paid the $100 deductible.
Just bought a 07 Magnum SXT and I love every bit of it. Had a problem passing Emissions at first, was getting the MIL error as well. Ended up bringing it back to Dodge and getting the Intake fixed. Total amount was 981.00. It cost me nothing, all this was paid by the used dealer I purchased it from.

Quick Reply: Just purchased a 2007 dodge magnum sxt...