Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

No FM reception

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 03:57 PM
T-mag
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No FM reception

05 magnum R/T
1st year of ownership FM recetion was not a problem.
I live within range of several FM stations.

Now, suddenly I cannot receive any FM stations.
This seems to have occured after a carwash, though I can't be sure of the timeline leading to the very poor reception.

Any Ideas?
I bought a warranty that would cover any internal problems.

Last edited by T-mag; 02-14-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: enter model
Old 02-14-2009, 09:06 PM
65standard
All Star

bad antenna connection? did you break the wire to the rear glass cleaning it?

Old 02-15-2009, 02:28 PM
T-mag

I see two strands of wires (encasesed in flexible conduit) coming out at top of back hatch.

Is the antenna wire in those?

Is the antenna actually in the back glass?

Thanks

Old 02-15-2009, 06:17 PM
65standard
All Star

the antenna is in the back glass. somewhere on the edge of the glass is the 2 wire connector. it is for the heater and antenna. see if they are still connected to the glass.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:00 AM
wera176

Any luck on this? My wife's 2005 Magnum just started to do this a few days ago. I looked at the antenna cable, etc, on the back window, it seems fine. The reception is box and has lots of static, and when I unplug the cable from the black "distribution" box the little reception is has goes away. I'm thinking about trying another "antenna" but other than tearing the dash apart to see if is loose on that end I'm out of ideas other than it's inside the radio...

Old 02-25-2010, 08:14 PM
T-mag
Default Have not pursued a fix

Originally Posted by wera176
Any luck on this? My wife's 2005 Magnum just started to do this a few days ago. I looked at the antenna cable, etc, on the back window, it seems fine. The reception is box and has lots of static, and when I unplug the cable from the black "distribution" box the little reception is has goes away. I'm thinking about trying another "antenna" but other than tearing the dash apart to see if is loose on that end I'm out of ideas other than it's inside the radio...
I subscribed to Sirius (factory satellite radio). Don't miss FM much at all.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:25 PM
gccruzer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jus bought my car from original owner, same problem but he says his FM stopped working when his original Sirius subscription ran out? Yes I know the FM antenna has nothing to do with satellite antenna, I'm just sayin what he said. If I tune it to a strong local station on FM it tries to come through but its like the antenna's disconnected, does the AM use the same antenna as FM? AM works fine! Weird.

The following users liked this post:
Charlie Hart (12-28-2019)
Old 02-18-2016, 01:47 AM
Magnasport
Default My radio problem was

That the core wire inside the antenna cable broke at the hinge point of the hatchback (possibly from the repeated open and closing). It is impossible to see and hard to find if you don't test the cable in all hatchback positions. I figured it out by turning to a poorly received station, then opening the hatch.
When I would open it, the station would suddenly come in clearly and fade out again when I closed it. What is happening is when its open the cable lies flat and the core is pushed together, when closed it makes the bend and the core pulls apart.
The only two ways to fix this that I know of, Take out a second mortgage and Order a new 15' cable from the dealer as he tries to sell you everything from the rear glass to the head unit and then rip the car apart from front to rear to replace it.
Or splice in a male and female antenna cable connector (one on each side of the bend or break) and plug in a short antenna cable that can be had at most any car stereo shop for a few bucks. I hope this helps, It worked for me.
Magnasport out.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:32 PM
Charlie Hart

Sirius connection? Seriously?
I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum, when I bought the car used, the Sirius Radio became activated. Everything was working, and as soon as the Sirius radio was turned off by the ending of my sample subscription, the FM reception went dead at the same time. As soon as I saw this thread from 2009, I didn't know if anyone had ever connected these again since then. Thanks a lot.

Old 11-19-2021, 12:27 PM
GODFOSTER
Default Rear glass antennae wire

Originally Posted by 65standard
the antenna is in the back glass. somewhere on the edge of the glass is the 2 wire connector. it is for the heater and antenna. see if they are still connected to the glass.
So the antennae wire is also for the heater? I'm having problems with 2006 magnum heat. I can feel heat from the vents but no blower. I have tried replacing the resistor and blower motor. My first step was switching a couple relays in the trunk. It worked for a day then nothing. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Quick Reply: No FM reception