Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

SXT vs RT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 09:19 PM
illy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SXT vs RT?

What I should have clarified was "If you don't mind the power difference between the SXT and the RT, get the SXT". If the power of the SXT to is good enough for you, then you are sitting pretty, it just wasn't an option for me.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:09 AM
Blkmagnum

I agree if the SXT works for you go with it. I went with the RT because I could.
As for the moe touting the Audi wagon (magnumfly), all I have to say is that it has no style. The magnum is a throwback to the chopped wagons of the 50's. The Audi is a throw back to...? And as far as engineering quality, you over estimate German cars. I guess you don't recall the Audi Quattros that used to take off in reverse for no reason. And Mercedes have been going to crap since the merger, which helped Chrysler and hurt Daimler. Your veiw on the corvette is also interesting. I guess you didn't realize the Z06 was ranked as the best overall sports car. Now I would rather have a Boxster S but I like the style better and I'm all about styling. It seems to me your all about brand name so put on your Lucky Jeans, Ugg's and go look at some Bimmers.

No replacement for displacement

Old 04-01-2005, 08:46 PM
TxRide
Rookie

hey guys, help me out here: i thought that dual exhaust is one with different low rev/high rev back-pressure, not just with two pipes.
if not so - what do you call it ( one i mentioned)?
greg

Old 04-01-2005, 10:48 PM
illy
Professional

The new Saleen mustang uses a "dual muffler" exhaust that opens up and trades mufflers with certain vacuum presures. "Dual Exhaust" in its true form is two seperate exhaust pipes coming from two manifolds or headers. As soon as a Y-pipe is introduced it is in essence a single exhaust car (think 93-02 Camaro Z28).

Old 04-01-2005, 11:15 PM
TxRide
Rookie

thanx Illy,
but there is another Q: what is the diff. btwn 4-banger w/ single pipe and hemi? why isn't it just two-ply regular exhaust but dual?
BTW - magmum is a single exhaust in this meaning - it has a mixing "suitcase". don't get me wrong : i love my car, i just wanna find out whether 2 pipes are always better than one.
greg

Old 04-01-2005, 11:51 PM
chefboyrlee
Professional

ORIGINAL: TxRide

thanx Illy,
but there is another Q: what is the diff. btwn 4-banger w/ single pipe and hemi? why isn't it just two-ply regular exhaust but dual?
can u clarify that a bit? if i can understand u correctly, a "4-banger w/single pipe" is a 4 cylinder engine with a single exhaust outlet...meaning 4 cylinders to headers that come join into a single pipe and exit the car as such. and the HEMI is V8 , essentially 2 4 bangers joined in a V formation.

i dont know if this helps, but after market cat-back exhausts (at least to my best knowledge) replace the suitcase muffler with dual mufflers. if u look at how the RT is set up it goes headers to cats to an "x-pipe" then suitcase or dual mufflers (aftermarket) then resonators (some cases no resonators).
search some of the muffler threads ppl have already done about all the variations to this setup, it's a matter of personal preference. if u wanna see some pics of the borla system...
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/666178/2
there are more pics on this forum as well, look for some dating back to last summerish

Old 04-02-2005, 05:25 AM
strippedhemi
Veteran

I have an RT myself and a good friend just bought an SXT for the same reasons as you. We havent had a chance to swap yet for comparison. Nothing sounds like a V8, and the V8 draws more attention at car shows which I attend at least a few times a week during season. I do a lot of over the road driving and my Hemi gets 25-28 mpg all the time. My average in town and freeway is about 18, and I do get into it a little most of the time. You cant get the true feel of an RT from the dealer. It dont run till its got a few thousand miles on it. You want a test drive, find someone with one thats got some miles and go for a ride. With about 5000 on mine now, it feels nothing like it did new...when it was basicly a dog.

Old 04-02-2005, 04:46 PM
TxRide
Rookie

Chefboyrlee, yes that's what I meant (and I apologize for jargon). My point is that there should be difference what we call a "double" like in HEMI, exhaust and "dual" like in mentioned above Saleen or for that matter Infiniti, which has two different paths for high/low engine (or motor, as some prefer) revs.
Yes, I know this is knit picking, but for the clarity there should be a well defined difference.

I’m so passionate about it 'cause I am thinking about modifying my exhaust that way - after replacing stock silencers with Magnaflow double-tips (there you go again) I lost quite a bit of low rev torque.
It has beautiful pickup once its past 3200-3500 revs, but forget burnouts.
Still don't how exactly I would do it, but idea is there...
I think that simplest solution could be an inline valve actuated (somehow) by tach.

I thought I’d pitch this idea - maybe somebody knows already how to do it?

greg

Oh yes, I forgot to mention - it sounds BAD A$$ COOOOL.

Old 04-02-2005, 06:50 PM
undropped
Veteran

The SE has a manifold on both sides or the motor, (3 cylinders per manifold) these then run into seperate CAT's and then to a "y" pipe. So traditional dual ehauxst is possible with only slight mods, you need to find the heat shield for the driver side exhaust as it passes the plastic gas tank. Mine has the "y" pipe still into a single in dual out flowmaster. Has for the sound and performance, seeing as I have a 2.7 I didn't notice much power. But the sound is nice at low rpm's (thumpin' rumble) but at High revs it has that wonderful ricer under water sound

Old 04-03-2005, 08:49 PM
chefboyrlee
Professional

txride,
a small shot of nitrous would help with ur low end as will a supercharger. i totally agree with you regarding the balance of torque and hp (the yin and yang....). although if i'm not mistaken the borla exhaust increases both hp and torque. i don't worry too much on torque and burnouts. i live in the city with poor roads so i don't do any stoplight racing stuff + i put 22"s on her during the warmer months. i only get to open her up on the freeways, so i like the top end trade off. personally, i'd like to increase 1/4 mile times, whatever the trade off of low end and top end may be. as for burnouts, do a lil power braking. u can get the smoke/squealing like that no prob (dont forget to turn off the esp)+ slipping tires mean slower 1/4 miles.