Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

2008 Dodge Magnum 3.5 oil consumption

Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM
hanz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Dodge Magnum 3.5 oil consumption

I have a 2008 dodge magnum 3.5l with 28,000 miles since I bought it with 16,000 miles on it I have noticed that it has been using about one quart of oil every 3,000 miles. I took it to the dealer they could find no leaks and they began a oil consumption test. So far I have travelled 1,400 miles and used 1/2 a quart of oil. While at the dealer for another issue I was told that 1/2 a quart of consumption while not normal was within specs. Does anybody have any info to share on this topic

Old 10-02-2009, 10:06 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Hemi and two 2.7L Chargers. All 3 consume oil like the dealer states. It is going to come down to how hard you drive your car. My Hemi is around a Qt low at change time always because I beat the tar out it. One time, it was almost 2 Qt's low at change time. That was when it was new and I just put on all the aftermarket mods. I now keep an extra bottle of oil in the garage and check it every 2 weeks, just to make sure. My Hemi is my baby.

The key phrase that the dealer is telling you that is "normal driving conditions". Everything else can take a toll on the amount of oil used. If you live in a hilly area, or a hot climate area, your engine will have to work harder to get around or keep cool, thus causing greater oil consumption. Also, even though you have the 3.5, it is probably safe to assume that you like to get on it sometimes. All this plays a factor.

If you baby it real good, not exceeding 55 mph, drive it 3000 miles over 3 months, you probably will not lose/consume any oil (this is normal driving as referenced from the dealer/mfg). But in the real word where the speed limit is for reference and daily driving can put 3000 miles on a car in a month or two, can take a toll on a car.

In the old days, this was pretty much a well known fact about cars and oil consumption. Everyone used to check their oil levels as often as they check their tire pressure. Now alot of us have gotten lazy and don't think about it. I too neglect checking sometimes.

Your car is fine. You have nothing to worry about.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:49 AM
hanz

Thanks l and r two. I checked my oil this morning (2500 miles into an oil change) and the dipstick read about a quart and a half low. I took it to the dealer, they checked it and said it was only a half quart low. I guess I don't know how to check my oil I was checking it when the engine was completley cold they were checking it five minutes after the hot engine was shut off. I guess the theory is if you check the oil when the engine is cold the oil contracts and gives a false low reading. I thought waiting till it was cold would ensure that all the oil had drained into the pan. Any way I drove home and let it sit for five minutes checked it agian and it was only about a half quart low. All this said this is the third newer car I have owned (not counting the junkers I drove as a teenager) and the first I have ever had that used ANY oil its also my first dodge. If I did not absolutely love this car I would be trading it in right now. So that said I guess I'll just keep on driving and watching my dipstick.

Last edited by hanz; 10-27-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:17 AM
46FD04
Rookie

Check your PCV valve.

I replaced mine yesterday, and it not installed properly at the factory.

The valve is plastic and screwws into the back of the engine, passenger side, at the top.

I found my PCV had been screwed in only 1/2 way. Having the rubber hose attached with a very tight fit, I don't think it loosened itself due to vibration.

The car has been using oil too. I just did an oil change as well, and we'll see if the oil usage stops.

Good luck.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 AM
smithbro

Hmmmm, interesting. I have had my 3.5 Magnum for 5 years now and just over 86,000 miles and really has not over-consumed much oil until very recently. It have always checked oil levels regularly and never showed any sign of unusual usage. Sometimes I would go 4-5 k before changing and there would be very little drop on the stick. It now goes through about 1 qt per 1500 miles, this is NOT normal! I had the dealer check for leaks at the last change and could not find any outward signs of leakage. Should I be concerned? I would think so...... I also own a 98' Jeep Cherokee 4.0L with 175,000 which uses very little oil between changes. A 93 Volvo 240 2.3L with 250,000 and NO oil used between changes (really black though)... A 95 Chevy Van 5.7L with 200,000 and goes just about a Qt at change (and I drive the living crap out of this one). And finally, a 07' Chevy Trailbazer (4x4) with 72,000 which uses no oil too between changes. All of my vehicles are driven in the mountains of NC, so yes they are put to the test. So are you telling me these Chrysler engines are just prone to high oil usage? That would seem a poor engineering design in my book.... Hopefully I can further this investigation and maybe get this thing fixed as the Magnum is my favorite drive.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:37 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I see 3.5l charger/Magnum burns more oil than other engine. Especially if you put wrong oil like 5w-20 in it, it'll burn 2-3 quarts at 3000 miles. You are fine, nothing to worry about, just change ur oil every 3k-4k ish, ur engine will last you over 200k.

When u do an Oil change, u put 6 quarts in, start the engine for 10 sec, shut it off, the oil should sit near the Top of the Hatch mark. and From the Top of the Hatch Mark to the Bottom of the hatch mark, that's about one quart.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:12 PM
hanz

I switched to 10W30 and have not had any more problems.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:33 PM
TerryFant

I have a 06 magnum with a 3.5 and it started using oil bad but it don't leak or smoke anyone have any ideal what it might be?

Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 PM
TerryFant

it has 170000 miles it had 15000 when i got it I have used a synthetic 10w30 sense i've had it

Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 PM
TerryFant

it uses about a quart per 1000 miles no change in driving habit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Dodge Magnum 3.5 oil consumption