Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Hemi 8 to 4 cylinders, how does it work?

Old 05-10-2005, 12:10 AM
cdn2usa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi 8 to 4 cylinders, how does it work?

Does anyone know exactly how, when and under what conditions the 8 to 4 cylinder trick works?
I know from the "dealer" brochure that both the intake and exhaust valves close in four cylinders acting as "springs", but under what conditions?

Old 05-10-2005, 01:17 PM
dll2k4
Default RE: Hemi 8 to 4 cylinders, how does it work?

Check out this thread: MDS "ON" Indicator Light

magnuman has even more detail about it on lxforums.com

Old 05-10-2005, 06:56 PM
AZRC

As I recall, there is electric solinoid that cuts the oil off to four of the hydralic lifters. This bassically shuts the valves down but I can't remember if it was only the intake side or both exhaust and intake. Without the oil pressure in the lifter it can not push the connecting rod which actuates the valve, thus making those four cylinders inactive.

Not sure if the spark is still active but I would think so, wouldn't hurt anything to have the sparkplugs keep firing. I can't tell you how long it takes the hydralic valves to presurize and depresurize. I would think it is within a second since most people think the transition from 4 to 8 cylinders is fairly seemless.

In the not to distant future, the valves will be actuated by electric motors, similar to the fuel injectors. This will allow any the cylinders to be deactivated and infinitly variable valve timing, thus doing away with the camshaft, lifters, push rods, and valve springs. This technology should also eliminate valve float at high speed.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:56 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Cdn 2 Usa,
It works good. 25.5 MPG, with foot and hills. MDS will not work for more than 6 minutes straight, in order to keep Temperatures consistant. There were some very detailed threads on this subject. Search the previous threads and you should find your answer...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hemi 8 to 4 cylinders, how does it work?