Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

2006 Dodge Magnum AWD Brake Rotor Problem

Old 07-21-2011, 06:45 AM
kowalcs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem here. I have 128K on my '06 R/T AWD and am on my 3rd set. I put up with the last ones warped for probably 40K miles or so. Luckily, I get them cheap through work. Never had a car go through rotors like this one.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:00 PM
fjc26
Angry Magnum AWD front rotor problem

At 12,000 miles, my 2006 Hemi magnum was showing symptoms of front rotor runout. At 26,000 miles they became very bad, I replaced the rotors and the pads. The rotors were total junk, almost falling apart in my hand.
Since the dealer wanted megabucks for the job, I did it myself and used parts from Auto Zone. My thinking was that the factory rotors were not very good so the aftermarket could not be any worse. The dealer service manager felt that the car may have been in inventory for a long time, and the metallic pads rusted into the rotors. So I used ceramic pads.
Now at 28,000 miles, the runout is back. The steering wheel shakes violently when braking from over 50 mph. Replacing rotors every 2000 miles could get expensive.
There is something inherent in the design of this braking system that is not right. Since Chrysler has been offering disc brakes for about 50 years, they should have it right by now.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Silver bullit
Veteran

The pins are sticking , for 25.00 you can replace the pins and install Bear rotors...with new pads..solved the same issue you have

Old 09-09-2012, 02:20 PM
xkeots
Angry

Originally Posted by steak59
They need to check the Rotors Run outs after the rotors installed.
It is possible that the Hub bearing is bad too.
I was there and I watched the whole check from using a dial gauge to check for rotor warpage, check the calipers for locking and straight-even inner piston application, spindles all good, bearings and pads were replaced.
I just had ceramic pads put on car (free pads but labor is 200.00 so I stop there)
Again, my cross drilled rotors after 15k warped all around the car. Each rotor weighed as much as 2 stock rotors and cost about $700.00 for 4 cross cuts for AWD Magnum.
The factory rotors were warping after 2,000.
I have other cars (I have owned over 100 cars in my life) and this is only happening on the Magnum.
Since Fiat took over I do not think that they want to be bothered with pre Fiat made cars.
My sister has an 08 Charger with same problem. I know at least 6 other people with Chargers, Magum, 300's and all rotors have warped.
I find this to be BS!

Jack
Magnum 2006 3.5 AWD

P.S My gear lever was recently stuck in park for almost 2 weeks till I found an out side vendor that made the part in aircraft aluminum and shipped it to me.
Chrysler/Dodge is backed up on the part 7-9 months. It happens to a lot of people with these cars. Google it and be prepared.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:23 PM
xkeots

Originally Posted by Tarmac Wizard
Sounds to me like you may have a problem with your calipers.
I'd ask to see the rotors next time, or at least take your car to a different shop.

Unless you're putting 60k miles a year, that just isn't normal.
From asking around, I have found that it is common to this platform car.
My 77 Corvette is on a set of rotors with 40k that I put on it and with a dial gauge they all are straight as day one.
Just did new pads

Old 10-21-2012, 12:16 PM
tone512

i too have the same problem now. i replaced my rotors in January and my car is starting to shake whenever i brake. this is ridiculous. is there any solution to this problem or do i just keep buying rotors as long as i have the car

Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Bob Myers

Interesting thing here, very interesting. Someone above mentioned the pins are sticking, and that was my thought from post one all the way through. Why has no one other than the one other person either looked into this to confirm or rebuke his statement? Once my mag starts this(and from all posts it will) that will be high on the list.
My wife has a 300AWD that does not exhibit these same findings, it has roughly 52k on the odo.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:03 PM
fjc26
Default Magnum Rotor followup

When my replacement rotors from Autozone failed in 2000 miles, I removed them and found them to be cracked and warped. I replaced them with AutoZone's heavy duty rotors, much more expensive. I also went out of my way to clean the pins thoroughly. Problem is solved, no more braking problems. The downside is that I don't know if Autozone is still offering these heavy duty rotors anymore.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:16 AM
Abqhemi
Professional

What pins?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:52 PM
fjc26
Default Magnum disc brake issues

The "caliper pin" or "guide bolt" supports the caliper. If the pin is rusty, it is possible for the brake to drag, produce heat, and damage the rotor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Magnum AWD Brake Rotor Problem