Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

05 Magnum stuck in Park

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 06:46 PM
bjburnout
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05 Magnum stuck in Park

Started car from winter storage and it would not come out of park.
Did the trick with pulling the wire that releases the detent in the shifter area and got it moving.
Now in my shop. Has anyone ever tried to bypass this detent. I'm told a new 'shift interlock latch' will fix it but
I have the shifter on the bench now and wondering if it can be bypassed. Comments?
happy motoring
bj

Old 04-02-2020, 03:50 PM
bjburnout
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well thanx to u-tube I was able to remove the shifter and replace the 'shift interlock latch'. When you compare the old one with the new you can see
where the broken tab for the return spring is located. And a u-tube video shows exactly how to replace it once you have the shifter on the bench.
The new latch is a Dorman 924-706 made of aluminum and it isn't going to break like the OEM plastic piece.
Happy motoring everyone
bj

Old 03-12-2021, 01:20 AM
Harry F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck in park still....

I e done the same thing also using the metal one. My problem is that its still stuck in park.... i drive by pushing in the pink plastic piece. I cant seem to find the problem.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:57 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 573 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry F
I e done the same thing also using the metal one. My problem is that its still stuck in park.... i drive by pushing in the pink plastic piece. I cant seem to find the problem.

Are your brake lights working? Can you turn the ignition just far enough to release the steering wheel but not turn the vehicle on and then move the shifter?

Old 03-12-2021, 11:10 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 215 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Are your brake lights working? Can you turn the ignition just far enough to release the steering wheel but not turn the vehicle on and then move the shifter?
LOL......it's not an old column shift car. These cars are floor shift and don't have locking wheels. Did you not read the second post? It was figured out.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:11 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bjburnout
Well thanx to u-tube I was able to remove the shifter and replace the 'shift interlock latch'. When you compare the old one with the new you can see
where the broken tab for the return spring is located. And a u-tube video shows exactly how to replace it once you have the shifter on the bench.
The new latch is a Dorman 924-706 made of aluminum and it isn't going to break like the OEM plastic piece.
Happy motoring everyone
bj
Latest victim of the "pink thingy" lol.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:19 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Magnoom
LOL......it's not an old column shift car. These cars are floor shift and don't have locking wheels. Did you not read the second post? It was figured out.

Did you read the third, new, post and not the year old 1st and 2nd posts? If the brake light switch is bad, you can't get the relay to release the shifter.

Old 03-13-2021, 12:52 PM
Harry F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brake lights are not working. I did replace the switch but the still refuse to work. i changed the fuses, the switch and the pink thingy with a new metal one.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:28 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Did you read the third, new, post and not the year old 1st and 2nd posts? If the brake light switch is bad, you can't get the relay to release the shifter.
Doesn't really matter since your question is only directly related to a column shift car with a locking wheel and the ignition key on the column; none of which applies to this car with its non-locking wheel, floor shift, key on the dash setup LMAO.

Old 03-14-2021, 11:46 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Harry F
My brake lights are not working. I did replace the switch but the still refuse to work. i changed the fuses, the switch and the pink thingy with a new metal one.
You can get by with a test light but I prefer to use a digital volt/ohm meter to check for power at the brake light. If there is power to it, check for power out with the brake depressed. There should be power to the switch at all times.

Was it driving normally then this happened? Some of these were used as police cars and they have a sneaky little feature to keep someone from jumping in and stealing it at a traffic stop. Under the floor mat, sometimes the carpet, there is a pressure bulb you push your foot down on to get it out of park.

Back to the issue. Are your headlight dimmers and turn signals working properly? It's possible your smart switch (turn signal, headlight dimmer) is bad but I would think the relay would get power even if the turn signals are bad. I'm not sure where the relay for the shifter is located as I've never fooled with these c

Quick Reply: 05 Magnum stuck in Park