Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

2005 Magnum RT Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 AM
davidbline
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2005 Magnum RT Electrical Problem

I have 2005 Magnum RT AWD with a strange intermittent electrical problem.

Quite frequently lately the car experiences a loss of certain electrical systems. It happens randomly, and oddly enough it seems to go away after sitting for several hours untouched.

Here are the systems affected when the problem occurs:

1. The electric trunk release quits working
2. The turn signal indicators quit working. The signals WORK, but indicator lights in the dash DO NOT
3. The Wipers quit working. The washer pump still works, and the rear washer and wiper still works fine, but the front blades stop working.
4. The interior lights stop working
5. The fog lights, or at least the indicator lamp in the dash stops working.
6. MOST problematic, the starter motor no longer engages. The Car WONT start! Almost like an alarm lockout is happening. You turn the key, all the lights come on, the security light comes on, then goes off like it should, but the car will NOT start.
7. The ABS light in the dash turns ON!
8. The horn stops working. When you lock the doors, they lock ok, but the horn does not beep. And you can't press the horn on the steering wheel while the problem is going on either.

Sometimes when it happens, I can just keep turning the key on and off several times, and then mysteriously it all works again. Often though, it just wont do anything at all. I must leave it sit for several hours, overnight sometimes. I come back, and it starts right up. Weird, right? After letting it sit overnight, the problem has gone away every single time. Overnight ALWAYS works.

I wouldn't care so much, except that when it happens in a parking lot at the grocery store, and the car wont start, I end up stuck for hours sometimes. Eventually it has always gone away on its own, after several hours just sitting there. I have been stranded probably 5 times in the last 3 months because of the problem. Yet sometimes I go for weeks with no issues at all.

When it first started happening, I tried everything. I checked all the fuses and breakers in both ends of the car. I tried shorting out the computers to reset everything. Nothing seemed to make any difference. Time seems to be the only thing that corrects it.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this might be? can you think of anything that all of these components may have in common? Horn, some idiot lights, starter motor, wiper motor, trunk release solenoid, Interior lights.

Thanks for the help, I am reluctant to take it to the dealer, because unless the problem is happening at the moment, there is no indication at all. And if it is happening, I can't get the car started to drive it in to the shop.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:12 PM
MarkCampbell
Default take it in

If you have not disconnected the battery, you can take it to the dealer and they can read the codes. All of those failures you have identified will be recorded on the computer and the issues should also be identified. My dealer charges about $125 for the diagnostic, but that is cheaper than the tow...

Old 01-12-2013, 06:03 AM
toronbrownlee

Get a new battery! mine did the same thing..

Old 01-12-2013, 08:41 AM
davidbline
Default I fixed it!

Gentlemen,

I really appreciate your replies on this matter. I am happy to report that I have indeed solved this problem. The problem turned out to be a bad connection (Combination of loose and corroded) on the main power feed to the Integrated Power Module (IPM). The issue was getting progressively worse as time went on until it finally got to the point that I could create the symptoms almost every time I drove the car. The symptoms being the loss of various electrical systems. By studying the wiring diagrams in the electronic shop manual, I came to realize that all of the affected systems all were controlled by the IPM and FCM. The breakthrough was when I figured out that I could temporarily fix the problem when it was occurring by gently wiggling the IPM back and forth. problem would happen, I would wiggle the IPM, problem would go away, every time. I decided to take the IPM off and clean all of the connections to it. The main power connection I noticed was only finger tight and the copper plate to wire terminal surfaces were both well oxidized. 20 minutes with a wire brush wheel on the end of my dremel, I put everything back together, and the problem has not returned since. Several weeks now. Not a single instance. And it was happening daily. So I am very confident this has in fact resolved the issue. Best part, I didn't spend a dime to get it fixed. I really wish I could trust one of the dealers in my area, so I could have taken it in to them in the first place. Unfortunately I have had horrible experiences with all of the ones around me. I know that not all dealerships are crooks and criminals, I had one in KY once that was wonderful. But the ones around me have repeatedly screwed me over every chance they get with outrageous pricing and what I have found to be questionable ethics at best. I just don't trust them, and with an intermittent problem like this, that is electrical, I was very afraid that I would end up paying $1000 for a repair that ended up being a loose nut. I just know in my heart of hearts they would have taken advantage of me. Thanks again to the people who suggested something, I really do appreciate the effort. Hopefully I can get another 50K miles on the car before the next problem crops up. All in all, I have loved this car. Almost 200K miles on it now, and its still fast a heck and has had very few major issues. In fact NONE that were not just wear and tear. It has never broken down, and been un drivable a single time. Sure, I've put lots of tires and brakes on it, tie rod ends and stabilizer bars. But running on synthetic oil its whole life, the car has never had a major breakdown, not one in 200K miles. I've never been able to say that about any other vehicle I have owned. Go Dodge!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 PM
NamJock
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's really encouraging as I approach 100k on my original '05. Sure it's got some dents and dings, but it's big, comfy and if Joe Semi is trying to beat me to the merge at a freeway entrance, a slight touch on the pedal is all it takes. Need room? I've got it. I've got a friend who trades on a whim and encourages me to get rid of my Maggie. BS if I have to spend a few hundred a year to keep her going it's still cheaper than payments. I may even take her in for a paint job on her 100th anniversary!

Old 12-17-2013, 07:45 AM
pfahring
Default My Dodge has the same problem

Where is the IPM so I can try this myself?

Old 12-18-2013, 07:16 AM
davidbline

Open the hood. The IPM is going to be to the left (Passenger Side) of the engine. You should be able to find a very large gauge wire from the battery to the module. Mine has a red plastic cover on it. The whole module snaps open is hinged on one side. Once you have it opened up, you can disconnect each of the cable bundles from the bottom of the module. the FCM is bolted to the front of the IPM. It is an aluminum case about 5 inches by 4 inches and 1.5 inches thick....(Those are very rough estimates.) I would open it up and look for you, but the car is filthy with snow and dirt. Winter in MN. Good luck. Mine has been running perfectly ever since I cleaned up that area last winter...knock on wood.

Let me know if you get it fixed.

DL

Quick Reply: 2005 Magnum RT Electrical Problem