Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

New mufflers for hemi Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 04:22 PM
Jack Black
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New mufflers for hemi Magnum

I would like to have a little sportier exhaust note (burble at idle, nice growl when I get on it, a little bark), but no increased drone or boominess. Not thunderous loud.

The Corsa axle-back system achieves this on the Caddy V-wagon, but is kinda steep ($1,150 plus install).

Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Jack

Old 07-21-2014, 07:50 PM
tattoo_jerry

i paid $70 and had the suitcase muffler off and replaced with straight pipes, and kept rear resonators, a lil bit louder sounds great no drone. and it didn't throw a CE light

Old 07-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Jack Black
Default Mufflers for Magnum 340 HP

Thanks, Jerry.

That sounds great. My only concern is that your perception of "a lil bit louder" may not correspond to mine.

The stock exhaust on my Hemi is VERY quiet, no indication at all that it is a performance car.

So, can you discuss the loudness a bit more (I would think that removing the muffler would make it much louder)?

Also, what state do you live in? Do you have a problem just running straight pipes with only the resonators, perhaps being illegal? Did you have trouble finding a muffler shop to do it for you.

Do you still have the converter(s) on to keep it legal? Is that what's keeping the volume down?

Once again, thanks much for the info.

Jack

Old 08-04-2014, 03:07 PM
honu
Amateur

I know this is a bit of a late response to the OP, but as an alternative to cutting out the "suitcase" muffler, I'd replace the resonators with something else, perhaps a set from Blastin' Bob's. The stock resonators are the most restrictive components in the system, so merely swapping out or eliminating the muffler altogether, isn't going to help much with reducing backpressure.

Blastin' Bobs builds several models, depending on how loud you want the exhaust and they're pretty easy to install. I put a pair on my car, an '07 Magnum R/T and the sound is just right... not much louder (except when I bury my foot in the throttle) and *******ly no drone.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Jack Black
Default 340 HP Magnum exhaust mods

Thanks, honu. It's not too late at all.

Your comments on the volume compare with tattoo Jerry's.

The only thing is that both of you say no drone, by either eliminating the muffler or replacing the resonators.

I thought that drone was mostly controlled by the resonators.

So it seems that eliminating the muffler or changing out the resonators would each make the exhaust a little louder without any drone.

But I don't even want a lot of bass volume ("thunder") even when winding out, just a little bark.

Is that what you have?

Thanks.

Jack

Old 08-06-2014, 04:53 AM
honu
Amateur

Originally Posted by Jack Black
Thanks, honu. It's not too late at all.

Your comments on the volume compare with tattoo Jerry's.

The only thing is that both of you say no drone, by either eliminating the muffler or replacing the resonators.

I thought that drone was mostly controlled by the resonators.

So it seems that eliminating the muffler or changing out the resonators would each make the exhaust a little louder without any drone.

But I don't even want a lot of bass volume ("thunder") even when winding out, just a little bark.

Is that what you have?

Thanks.

Jack
The "problem" with the stock resonators is that the diameter of the exhaust pipe pinches down dramatically inside the body of the resonator... this reduces the harmonics in the exhaust, but at the same time, obviously increasing back-pressure. Removing the resos significantly reduces back-pressure with the down side of the dreaded "drone".

By comparison, the Blastin' Bobs replacements maintain the same exhaust pipe diameter and are also of a straight through design. They reduce back-pressure, though not as much as a straight pipe would, but the packing inside. muffles the harmonics, which create the drone.

Generally speaking, and this is based on anecdotal information, the "drone" is most noticeable, some say obnoxious, when the engine goes into the cylinder deactivation mode. With my set-up, I can kind of hear it, but then, I'm seldom driving in conditions in which the engine switches into that mode.

As for the tone... well I think it's a bit deeper, but has a "mellow" sound, definitely NOT a "bark". I'm not an exhaust expert, but it seems to me that if you're trying to get that "bark", you might have to accept the drone that comes with a more open exhaust.

Of course, if you're willing to spend zoot bucks, along with some time for trial and error experimenting, to build a custom tuned exhaust system, you might get pretty close to what you're after.... but just cutting stuff out and slappin' pipes in won't work.

Good luck, let us know how you do.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Jack Black
Default Hemi Magnum mufflers

Thanks again.

I may have to go back to Corsa.

Their axle-back "system" for the Caddy V-wagon achieves this, but costs $1,050, really steep for what is just a pair of mufflers.

I'll contact them and ask if they are recommending replacing the mufflers, resonators, whatever on the Magnum.

I'll let you know what they say.

Jack

Old 08-06-2014, 02:58 PM
The Ram Man 01
Rookie

Try the Borla Muffler.. Sounds great on my Daytona which is stock.

Quick Reply: New mufflers for hemi Magnum