Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

'05 Magnum won't start. Battery, starter are good.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:36 PM
Idigguns
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '05 Magnum won't start. Battery, starter are good.

2005 Dodge Magnum SXT, 3.5L V-6, 137,000 miles. The car sat for almost a year while I worked out of state. I remember before I left it had an occasional problem with not shifting out of Park. I got back, and the battery was dead and wouldn't take a charge... 10 year old battery, not bad. Replaced the battery, turned key to Start, sounds like a relay clicking in the rear of the car... I know the starter relay is under the hood in the Power Distribution Center, though. No other sound. I did the "key dance"... no trouble codes. I used an OBD2 scanner with my Torque app and the only trouble code is P1684 (Battery disconnected for long time), duh! So, I checked #10 and #20 fuses, they're good. The horn works, so I switched the horn relay and starter relay, no joy... so the relay is not the problem. I've tried starting in Park and Neutral many times, no joy. I have 12 volts from the battery to the starter solenoid, on the main terminal. I checked for 12 volts on the S terminal of the starter solenoid while someone tried to start the car... 0 volts. So there's nothing to pull in the solenoid to send the 12 volts to the starter. So it looks like the problem is with either the ignition switch, the neutral safety switch or in the wiring. I'm leaning toward the NSS, because of the problems shifting out of Park last year, and because I've read a lot of people having problems with the NSS. I've been reading A LOT of threads and doing A LOT of Google searches. I haven't been able to find exactly where the NSS is located or which wires to jump out. I see where the linkage comes into the transmission on the drivers side, there are two sensors with two wires on each and one sensor with about 6 or 7 wires. I think the one with the 6 or 7 wires must be the NSS. Am I right? I've looked up pictures of the NSS for this model, and they don't look like what I'm looking at. I tried to disconnect the wiring harness to it, but no luck. It's stuck or I just couldn't figure out where the tab is to push. I've also been having a hard time finding a wiring diagram for the starter circuit. I would think that power goes from the ignition switch to the NSS to the starter relay in the front PDC then to the S terminal on the starter. But I read somewhere that the NSS doesn't break the 12 volt, it actually breaks the neutral (ground). Is that right? Please, any help with:

1. Photos of the NSS and it's location.
2. Which wires to jump on the NSS.
3. Wiring diagram of the Starter Circuit.
4. Is there a way to jump out or test the ignition switch.
5. Any other suggestions I'm not thinking of.

Thanks for your time!!

Brian

Quick Reply: '05 Magnum won't start. Battery, starter are good.