Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Takata airbags in 2006 Magnum?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Jack Black
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Takata airbags in 2006 Magnum?

Does anyone know this for sure? It seems like it might be true, since one one of the cars shown in the news was a 2006 Charger (e.g., same body style).

Last time I checked, there was no recall on my VIN.

Thanks.

Jack

Old 11-21-2014, 01:07 AM
draftingmonkey
Captain

Check here https://www.moparownerconnect.com/oc...allsQuery.aspx Not all LX platform cars are effected.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:31 PM
Jack Black

Thanks; that didn't produce any results.

I checked via phone with Dodge a month ago, and they also said no.

The problem is, if you are following the news, Takata is being recalcitrant re expanding the recall. Once the nitwits at NHTSA get their way (apparently in the works), my car might well be included (I expect it to be).

Where do you get your info that not all LX cars have them? Who are the other suppliers?

Another (if stupid) question: is there any way to disable the airbags without completely f***ing up vehicle operation? I always wear my lap and shoulder belts and would rather do without an airbag until this is resolved.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:53 AM
danno676

Originally Posted by Jack Black
Does anyone know this for sure? It seems like it might be true, since one one of the cars shown in the news was a 2006 Charger (e.g., same body style).

Last time I checked, there was no recall on my VIN.

Thanks.

Jack

Jack, I joined this forum just so I could give you a real response. I have a 2007 Magnum and, like you, was confused about the recall. First I called Chrysler and was read some BS script, then I called the NHTSA and was told about the same thing, called my local dealer and was argued with. So finally I removed the driver's airbag and took it to the service manager at my local dealer. He was surprised and was finally willing to talk to me because, low and behold, I had a Takata airbag. He told me to tell my wife (as he told his wife that drives a 300c) to "be careful", I must have given him a very dirty look instantly because he looked regretful of saying it as I said "and what good does that do her, or my 5yo daughter, when the *** hole in oncoming traffic decides to hit her head on?". He had no response.

What to do now? Luckily there are at least 4 other running cars in my yard that do not contain the IAD's in their steering wheels. So the Magnum sits there waiting on an answer from it builder or our government.

I have been monitoring the news by Google searching "dodge takata" and getting the latest updates.

Here is a good link
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0IV1WE20141111

another
http://blog.caranddriver.com/massive...cted-vehicles/

Some articles won't directly mention the Magnum, others will. Keep in mind that the Magnum is a 300 class of vehicle. I looked up an airbag for a 300c on Chrysler's parts website and then one for my Magnum, same part number for the bag assy...same airbag.

My advice, don't drive the car or unplug the airbag, you can do so and still have it in your steering wheel so you horn will still operate.
BTW, I have 20 years professional auto repair experience, 10 of which were spent managing the top producing independent shop in our area with 12 technicians.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by danno676; 12-04-2014 at 04:57 AM. Reason: mispelled word, added text
Old 12-04-2014, 07:50 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by danno676
Jack, I joined this forum just so I could give you a real response. I have a 2007 Magnum and, like you, was confused about the recall. First I called Chrysler and was read some BS script, then I called the NHTSA and was told about the same thing, called my local dealer and was argued with. So finally I removed the driver's airbag and took it to the service manager at my local dealer. He was surprised and was finally willing to talk to me because, low and behold, I had a Takata airbag. He told me to tell my wife (as he told his wife that drives a 300c) to "be careful", I must have given him a very dirty look instantly because he looked regretful of saying it as I said "and what good does that do her, or my 5yo daughter, when the *** hole in oncoming traffic decides to hit her head on?". He had no response.

What to do now? Luckily there are at least 4 other running cars in my yard that do not contain the IAD's in their steering wheels. So the Magnum sits there waiting on an answer from it builder or our government.

I have been monitoring the news by Google searching "dodge takata" and getting the latest updates.

Here is a good link

another

Some articles won't directly mention the Magnum, others will. Keep in mind that the Magnum is a 300 class of vehicle. I looked up an airbag for a 300c on Chrysler's parts website and then one for my Magnum, same part number for the bag assy...same airbag.

My advice, don't drive the car or unplug the airbag, you can do so and still have it in your steering wheel so you horn will still operate.
BTW, I have 20 years professional auto repair experience, 10 of which were spent managing the top producing independent shop in our area with 12 technicians.

Hope this helps.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for that information. Stick around. We need knowledgeable folks like yourself here. We don't bite too hard...

Old 12-04-2014, 09:26 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by danno676

Here is a good link

another

Hope this helps.

So you walk into a dealer with *** written on your chest, put the dealer on the spot like he's going to be able to do anything. Its jerks like you that make this job as hard as it is. Are they supposed to just go to the back and grab an airbag for you? Are you insane? I don't care how many years "experience" you have...you should know better.

They didn't make the car, the airbag or anything else on the car. You need to take up your "issue" with Chrysler and stop bothering people who have a job to do. That job not being taking random bull**** from squirrels like yourself who obviously have nothing better to do.

You're also advising people to take out their airbags...that's incredibly stupid and if you were in business, a HUGE liability.

Last edited by TNtech; 12-04-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:02 AM
danno676

Originally Posted by TNtech
So you walk into a dealer with *** written on your chest, put the dealer on the spot like he's going to be able to do anything. Its jerks like you that make this job as hard as it is. Are they supposed to just go to the back and grab an airbag for you? Are you insane? I don't care how many years "experience" you have...you should know better.

They didn't make the car, the airbag or anything else on the car. You need to take up your "issue" with Chrysler and stop bothering people who have a job to do. That job not being taking random bull**** from squirrels like yourself who obviously have nothing better to do.

You're also advising people to take out their airbags...that's incredibly stupid and if you were in business, a HUGE liability.

You sir seem to be a very special individual so I will explain my post so as even the simplest of individuals may be able to understand. Additionally your opinions, as such that opinions are, mean absolutely nothing to me as my response was specifically directed to the OP, not shallow minded people such as yourself.

I "walked" in to the dealership because over the phone neither the service manager nor Chrysler could tell me what manufacturer of air bag I had in my car. SOOO I removed the airbag, took it to him and had him HELP me determine what I had. HE was thankful to me for shedding light on the situation because he had, at that time, been told that the 300 class cars did NOT have the Takata airbags. We have since learned and been told differently.

The OP also asked if there was a way to disable it, yes there is, unplug it. IF you READ and FOLLOW the news, that is what certain vehicle manufacturers intend on doing if/when the recalled airbag supply runs out, GM specifically. I believe Honda/Toyota intend on giving their customers loaner vehicles until the supply meets the demand. If you read the other part of my advice, which was also the first piece of advice, which was NOT to drive the car.

Personally I put very little faith in airbags, having lived a very long time and through many accidents in older "muscle" cars not having them and sustained little to no injuries. Obviously our government feels differently and there is certainly plenty of data to disprove my disbelief, so I will not argue with that. I am merely saying that I do not care if my airbag is function or not, however if I know that there is a 1 in a 1,000,000 chance of my airbag becoming an IAD in the case of an accident then I will be disabling it.

How dare you react to my message with malice without being able to understand it's true and full meaning, read first, then re read, then if you still do not understand, read it again. It is people like you (dealership people) that made my time at private repair shops so profitable...guess I should be thanking you.

You made no mention of the helpful links that I provided the OP, that no one else seemed to be able to bother with.

I only hope that Jack Black can get past your arrogant response and see the meaning in my message.

You =

Last edited by danno676; 12-05-2014 at 06:27 PM. Reason: added text
Old 12-05-2014, 06:25 PM
danno676

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Welcome to the forum and thanks for that information. Stick around. We need knowledgeable folks like yourself here. We don't bite too hard...
Thank you for that, apparently TNtech doesn't feel the same way...

Quick Reply: Takata airbags in 2006 Magnum?