Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Magnum won't downshift

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 10:55 AM
06MagnumSXT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum won't downshift

Can anyone help me out? My parents have a 2006 Magnum with the 3.5 and 5 speed w/autostick. It recently started to stay in a high gear once you come to a complete stop. Once you give it gas all it does is Rev and not go anywhere. It will not downshift no matter what we do. It works completely fine if you drive around using the autostick, but if it's stuck in a higher gear when you're stopped and you try to use the autostick, it won't let you and I would have to turn the car off and then back on for it to let me. The check engine light goes on and off. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:51 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MagnumSXT
Can anyone help me out? My parents have a 2006 Magnum with the 3.5 and 5 speed w/autostick. It recently started to stay in a high gear once you come to a complete stop. Once you give it gas all it does is Rev and not go anywhere. It will not downshift no matter what we do. It works completely fine if you drive around using the autostick, but if it's stuck in a higher gear when you're stopped and you try to use the autostick, it won't let you and I would have to turn the car off and then back on for it to let me. The check engine light goes on and off. Any help would be appreciated.
06MagnumSXT,

I'm sorry to hear about your shift concerns.

Does the engine light stay on, or does it continue to flash? Are there any error codes set?

A formal diagnosis would be beneficial in efficiently pinpointing the root cause. Your ability to reproduce the symptom on a regular basis will also help the diagnosis process.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:06 AM
06MagnumSXT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeCACares
06MagnumSXT,

I'm sorry to hear about your shift concerns.

Does the engine light stay on, or does it continue to flash? Are there any error codes set?

A formal diagnosis would be beneficial in efficiently pinpointing the root cause. Your ability to reproduce the symptom on a regular basis will also help the diagnosis process.
The check engine light only comes on if you're not using the autostick and it gets stuck in a higher gear. I've been only using the autostick for a couple weeks now and it's been working completely fine.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:45 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MagnumSXT
The check engine light only comes on if you're not using the autostick and it gets stuck in a higher gear. I've been only using the autostick for a couple weeks now and it's been working completely fine.
06MagnumSXT,

The ability to isolate when the issue occurs is beneficial. Fortunately, you are able to continue driving, however, a diagnosis would be recommended as the check engine light should not remain on while using the standard automatic shift.

Quick Reply: Magnum won't downshift